You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Zul

Sunday, March 6th 2016, 10:41am

Newbie question - Check valve

I have a 1 hp Flotec FP5162-08 controlled by an anolog intermatik timer box with a back yard canal as my source ( Florida). I has five zones with anywhere from 4 - 8 sprinklers in each zone. I initially noticed that I was loosing pressure in one zone, however if I cycled the all the zones, on the second run the problemed zone work fine.

Now I am loosing pressure in all zones in quite the same manner. Could this signal that the attached check valve has gone bad?

I have admit that I have noticed some air in the system, but not more than was experienced when system was fully functional. Also when I disconnect the union attachment after the pump, I am able to get very good pressure after a a couple seconds incremential increases ( Water flow starts off low then gradually gets stronger)

My system

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Zul" (Mar 6th 2016, 11:00am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, March 7th 2016, 10:52am

Is there any intake screening to get clogged?

Zul

Monday, March 7th 2016, 1:30pm

Check valve?

Is there any intake screening to get clogged?
Not that I am able to see from my vantage point at the edge of the canal. I was trying to rule out everything else before having to go in the canal. Also I was able to excellent flow when I disconnected the pipes at the union after the pump ( even thought it was a gradual build up).

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 8th 2016, 10:34am

Assuming you have eliminated leaks from broken pipes in the system, you are looking at the pump more than anything else. Intake blockage causes poor performance. Suction line leaks also cause poor performance. Seeing any air bubbles in the water when the outlet union is disconnected?

Another possibility might be index valve performance, if it isn't sealing completely, and allowing some water to escape into zones other than one that should be receiving all the water. Index valves are almost unknown outside of Florida, but I've encountered one or two, and opening them up and checking inside is not too difficult.

Coldstone

Unregistered

Wednesday, March 9th 2016, 6:30pm

Pump Prime loss

I continue to lose Prime on my sprinkler pump. I can hear the water gurgle when I secure my pump and when I close the discharge valve it stops. I recently replace all my valves with anti-syphon valves but it still didn't work. I have checked my suction check valve and replaced it. Suggestions?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 9th 2016, 7:19pm

RE: Pump Prime loss

I continue to lose Prime on my sprinkler pump. I can hear the water gurgle when I secure my pump and when I close the discharge valve it stops. I recently replace all my valves with anti-syphon valves but it still didn't work. I have checked my suction check valve and replaced it. Suggestions?
You need to start a separate thread on your situation. Once you have done that and have returned here to delete your post, I can help you. We need to keep things separate, or mass confusion will result.

Zul

Thursday, March 10th 2016, 8:02pm

Solution !!

I very happy to report that I have my system up and running. Now even better than before. I removed the union joint from before the intake of the pump and that did the trick. Thank you very much for your assistance and help brainstorming :).

I am sure that I will have more questions in the future, particularly with my index valve. But that will be for another day.

Thanks again.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 10th 2016, 9:03pm

Congratulations on your success. That union was acting as a suction line leak.

Rate this thread