You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, January 23rd 2016, 11:58am

Totally confused

I have a tiered yard with a total of 6 zones. Noticed seeping on the top level, zone 1. I replaced the valve with a Orbit anti syphon valve. Still have seeping at sprinkler heads. Even though it was a new valve I opened it and checked the diaphragm and it looked fine, no debris or any issues. Reinstalled it and still have the seeping issue. I removed the valve and installed it on zone 4, and installed the valve from zone 4 on zone 1. Zone 1 still seeping. Zone 4 does not seep. There are no other issues, leaks or anything. System turns on and off and functions fine. Zone 1 is approximately 30 feet above the main shut off valve so I don't thin water pressure is the issue since zones 4, 5 and 6 are on ground level. All 6 zones have the same valve, Orbit anti syphon model 57624.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mrfixit

Saturday, January 23rd 2016, 1:45pm

Are you 100% sure you changed the right valve? Turn the valve on manually at the valve itself to verify.

Make sure the solenoid is snug. Check for debris under the solenoid plunger.

Do you have a master valve? Maybe the master valve is seeping and it's coming out of the upper zone.

Is the water seeping out of the sprinkler heads or is the ground just wet. I've seen seeping that appears to be coming out of a sprinkler head but there was a mainline running next to it and the main was leaking.

Saturday, January 23rd 2016, 2:25pm

I am sure I changed the right valve, only has one valve for zone 1. The valve is snug, turned on manually then off manually, still have same issue.. Only have a master valve for whole system. No other part of the system has this problem. Everything else stops the water when it is supposed to. The water is coming from the sprinkler heads. No other water issues anywhere except zone 1.

mrfixit

Saturday, January 23rd 2016, 3:47pm

Ok this is a long shot. I've only seen this on one specific model controller.
Try changing the wires around on the controller. Swap the seeping valves wire with one that doesn't seep.
See if it stops on the upper level and moves to the other valve.

Saturday, January 23rd 2016, 10:46pm

Thanks mrfixit, didn't even think of it being a possible voltage/power issue. I will try that tomorrow. If that is the issue, what do I do to fix it? Or a better question, what is the cause?

Sunday, January 24th 2016, 1:16pm

Changed the wiring, same issue. I even decreased the water from the main valve to 1/2 and still same issue. I'm really at a loss on what the problem is. Should I try a different brand of valve? If so, what brand? Any other suggestions?

mrfixit

Sunday, January 24th 2016, 6:10pm

Yep the new valve is probably defective. That Orbit valve is a piece of junk anyway.

The Irritorl 311A is the valve to replace that. The ports are almost exactly the same distance apart. Just make sure you check to see if you need 3/4 or 1 inch.

If you want to dig and move the pipe over and use a good less expensive valve I'd go with the Irritrol 2711APR which is 3/4" or the 2713APR a 1" valve.

My only issue with the 311 valve is getting the male adapters to screw on without binding. Don't overdo the teflon tape on these. 2 wraps max. With the 2711 I do 6 wraps with no problem. I think their mold is off a tiny fraction. It's always been like that. But it's an excellent valve.

Monday, February 1st 2016, 6:49pm

Finally got time to replace the valve with the irritorl 311A . Same issue. Water seepage. Is it possible that the pressure at the top of the hill is too much? I would think if the pressure it too much, the issue would be at all 6 stations, not the top of the hill. I am beyond confused at this point.
Any other suggestions????????

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, February 1st 2016, 7:37pm

You might want to confirm by observation of the water meter that the valve is leaking.

Monday, February 1st 2016, 8:43pm

The water is coming out of the sprinkler heads. I know because I can see it at the sprinkler heads.

Rate this thread