You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

john_00

Starting Member

Saturday, January 16th 2016, 1:53pm

Can not program the controller, but the transformer, station connections, backup battery, and fuse are good!

Hi all sprinkler system experts:

I have a old sprinkler controller (near 20 years old). My tenant reported to me that the controller can not program programs (reset itself?). However, the voltages of transformer, station connections, and backup battery are good (28 VAC measured by DMM). Also the fuse does not break. Can any one know what happened to the controller?
Thanks.

John

The following link is the photo of the controller:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOWUU9o-ar3AkU2VAXujCIZjvD-3cP3llYIh_lX2oGtz3QrlcuAYTdypu0tHfEOJA?key=LUlfWm80eEVoaDk5UkQ5dHlCZGdOZE93aTFBaEh3

mrfixit

Saturday, January 16th 2016, 4:21pm

If that reset button there on the front doesn't work then i'd take out the batteries and unplug it for a minute.. If you still can't program the controller then it's time for a new one.
I'm very familiar with that controller. I know they were inexpensive. I have however seen those last for what seems like forever.
Replacing it would be a 5 minute job the way you have it set up. Ok figure a half hour. =)

john_0

Unregistered

Saturday, January 16th 2016, 5:24pm

Hi mrfixit:

I still can set and adjust date and time on the controller. Someone told me that jamming the reset button will prevent programming on the controller. Do you agree with this view? Thanks.

John

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 17th 2016, 11:41am

When these things go 'slightly' wrong, we never really know exactly what's happening. Circuit failures, pushbutton and dial failures, aren't anything we can get a handle on. To have a system good to go when you walk away from the repair, you invest in a new controller.

john_0

Unregistered

Sunday, January 17th 2016, 3:25pm

Hi wet_boots:

The dial on the controller functions well, not loose. Can you tell me what will happen if the reset button on the controller was jammed? Can I still program the controller? Or, will the controller clear the programs when every time I return the dial on the controller to programming areas? ?( Thanks.

John

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, January 18th 2016, 2:25pm

Hi wet_boots:

The dial on the controller functions well, not loose. Can you tell me what will happen if the reset button on the controller was jammed? Can I still program the controller? Or, will the controller clear the programs when every time I return the dial on the controller to programming areas? ?( Thanks.

John
A pro is unlikely to ever know the answer to your questions, because they will pitch the old controller into the trash when they see it act up, and replace it with one that they can trust. If an old controller is one they installed themselves, then they might spend a bit of time going over ways it is not performing up to par, not in hopes of fixing it, but to better know how it can misbehave. Since your controller was never installed by a pro, there is about zero chance that someone with experience in the trade ever spent time with them when they weren't working properly.

In the end, the same rule applies, install something trustworthy, and call it job done.

john_0

Unregistered

Tuesday, January 19th 2016, 2:09am

Hi Wet_boots:

I know I need to replace the old timer. I just wonder that what will happen to the timer if the reset button of the timer is jammed. Interestingly, my old timer showed me the behavior which looks like the reset button was jammed. Now All sprinkler controllers have the reset function. If the reset button were jammed by someone, could the owner or gardener program the controller? I just want experts to give me their thoughts and experiences. I will replace the old timer for sure. Thanks.

John

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 19th 2016, 9:09am

No controller I ever worked with had a jammed reset button, and if it were possible to jam a reset button so that the reset contacts were closed, the entire controller would almost certainly be a hundred percent non-functioning.

Rate this thread