You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Monday, December 7th 2015, 1:11pm

Can someone please help me identify this old valve and it's function?


I am new to this site, but I have really appreciated the wealth of information here.

I am hoping that one of you will be able to identify the fitting in the picture attached below and tell me it's function. Our backyard has a 10+ year in-ground irrigation system for sprinklers, etc. There is a main 1" pvc line with four right angle branches, each having this funny valve/limiter and 1" piping out. I thought these were control valves at first, but the black tubing on top is hollow and it snaps onto a zirk on top of the valve so it is either for pressure relief or possibly even vacuum control?

Is this some kind of backflow valve? I have searched high and low on the internet and I can't find anything comparable. It is also confusing to me why these valves were located in the ground and where the black tubing goes.

If anyone could please clue me in then I would be very appreciative.





This post has been edited 5 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Dec 8th 2015, 4:22am)


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,292

Location: Metro NYC


Monday, December 7th 2015, 4:35pm

You have Toro hydraulic zone valves, and the black tubes should lead to a Toro hydraulic controller.

What is your location? There can be location-specific reasons for having these valves.


Monday, December 7th 2015, 5:54pm

Thank you for your help!

I'm in Phoenix, but here's the thing, our house has this older irrigation system yet the folks who flipped the house before us put in a much newer irrigation system with a rain bird controller and zone valves, and it works fine. However, they tied 2 of the 4 1" pipes stemming off those Toro hydraulic valves into their 3/4" irrigation lattice that routes water to our current, functional sprinklers in the back yard. I have no idea why they kept the older Toro hydraulic zone valves or even why they routed two of the 1" lines into a single 3/4" line? Moreover, there is no indication if the other two Toro hydraulic valves are closed or open or if the 1" pipes coming off them are even capped!

Now that I know that these are antiquated zone valves I feel confident that I can cut that section of piping out entirely and T the 1" main into the 3/4" irrigation lattice with a step down and be done with it. I'll also cap the ends of the remaining buried 1" pipes. The system will then have much fewer joints for potential leaks.





Posts: 2,319

Location: USA


Tuesday, December 8th 2015, 4:24am

I tried to fix your link with no luck then I tried to upload the picture with no luck. I give up.

Similar threads

Rate this thread