You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, November 25th 2015, 9:45pm

Sprinkler valve question

A rotary sprinkler would not shut off and I must have damaged the flow control screw on an old, brass sprinkler valve by trying to turn the top of the screw with the wrong tool plus I did not loosen the nut first. I did have someone shut the valve off for me and the sprinkler now works but the other 3 flow control screws are apparently fully open while this one is somewhat closed still. I cannot find any tool to turn it back to the fully open position possibly due to the flat surfaces at the top of the screw being rounded. Does it matter or will opening it up to the fully open position (if possible) allow more water to flow? Thanks for any thoughts. (I have a good photo of the valves but I for some reason I am having a problem linking it my Dropbox account so I am guessing that "flow control screw" is the correct word for the part in question.) Thanks for any thoughts.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, November 26th 2015, 12:13pm

Upload your photo(s) to Tinypic, and bring back the forum code to post. You might get a brief commercial during the anti-robot popup, but no other strings attached.

Thursday, November 26th 2015, 2:06pm

My photo should be available now

Upload your photo(s) to Tinypic, and bring back the forum code to post. You might get a brief commercial during the anti-robot popup, but no other strings attached.
Thank you. The white arrow at the far left points to the part I was trying to turn when I apparently damaged it. This is the IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards. It seems I needed to remove the "[IMG]" from the start and end of the link? [url]http://i66.tinypic.com/2wrnfhw.jpg[/url]
Thank you for your help.[/img]

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, November 27th 2015, 7:09am

Those are old Superior valve adapters. They did show a tendency for brass threads to get locked up. It's kind of a Catch 22, where brute force can strip threads, and/or tear inner O-rings. You might try some penetrating oil on threads, but not blowtorch heat.

In any event, you don't need to fix any of these old adapters, since there are reliable replacements available. Irritrol makes good ones.

mrfixit

Friday, November 27th 2015, 9:43pm

Your valves are very old. Could be 40 years. Be careful unscrewing them. Use a pipe wrench to hold the valve body while unscrewing the adapter so you don't bust the pipes below.