You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Swiftowl

Saturday, November 7th 2015, 3:41pm

Can't shut off anti siphon valves

So, I had a lawn with a multiple zone sprinkler system. Due to the drought, I decided to put in a more water friendly garden so I pulled out all the lawn and have now planted drought resistant plants. I no longer needed the 15 or so sprinkler heads that serviced the lawn so I capped off all but 4 of them and installed these 8 way drip heads on those 4. There's a box in the yard with 4 valves in it and they are wired to create 4 zones (I.e., a different colored wire to each valve solenoid. Quite frankly, I don't know which zones the new drip heads are on but I'm pretty sure they are on at least 2 of the old zones. I also know that zone #4 is a drip system that was separate from the lawn sprinklers. The controller is disconnected so I've been turning the valves on and off with the toggle switches on the valves themselves (Water Masters). My problem is that all the zones are now on all the time. I am now unable to shut the water off at the valves. I can only shut them off by shutting down the main manual valve that controls the whole system. I have checked diaphragms and for dirt, etc., in the valves but that has made no difference. Someone please tell me what I'm overlooking. Thanks in advance.

mrfixit

Saturday, November 7th 2015, 3:48pm

The toggle switches should be at 3 or 9 o'clock which is off. Straight up is on.

The solenoids should be snug clockwise. Turn the handle just below it.

Debris inside all the valves could cause that.

Not having enough flow through the valves can keep them from shutting off.

Turn the flow controls down a bit.

Swiftowl

Sunday, November 8th 2015, 1:15am

The valves are Orbit inline reverse flow, without flow control. The on/off switch only moves 90 degrees, from 3:00 to 12:00. The orbit literature says the switch is for testing and warns against using it too much but doesn't say what happens if you do. Could I have damaged the valves by over using the switch?

mrfixit

Sunday, November 8th 2015, 1:38am

I highly suggest you swap out the valves for valves with flow controls.
I wouldn't recommend the Orbit product.
Go with Irritrol or Hunter.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Wednesday, November 11th 2015, 2:44pm

The switches work by raising and lowering the solenoid plunger inside the valve. It's hard to see how you could damage that, but maybe the switch isn't turning inside the valves. Try turning the water off and then removing the solenoid. The plunger should move up and down freely. The little doohickey inside the valve should be laying flat so the plunger can rest in the down position.

mrfixit

Thursday, November 12th 2015, 4:34am

RE: Can't shut off anti siphon valves

I'm thinking you don't have anti-syphon valves. I've never seen an anti-syphon valve with that little lever that doesn't have a flow control.
Can you post a picture?

The odds of you breaking all of the levers at once is less that zero.

Rate this thread