You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Netcord

Friday, November 6th 2015, 12:07pm

Backflow valve snapped off

Handle has snapped off the horizontal pipe. As a result there is no way to shut off / adjust the flow.
I like to my own diy projects, so am keen to fix myself. I assume I need to replace that whole section....but is this best left to the professionals?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, November 6th 2015, 8:45pm

Backflow preventer "isolation valves" are not used to adjust flow. Full on. Full off. Adjust the flow elsewhere. Ball valve handles can be replaced, but sometimes a new valve is preferable.

Netcord

Tuesday, November 10th 2015, 12:24pm

Backflow preventer "isolation valves" are not used to adjust flow. Full on. Full off. Adjust the flow elsewhere. Ball valve handles can be replaced, but sometimes a new valve is preferable.

Thank you Wet Boots...
I guess I'm a little confused now. I can't tell if the broken valve is open or closed. All I know is that there is water getting to the heads... but just not enough to make them rise up! Nothing else has been tampered with.
I assume I'll need a new valve... is it the kind of job an average DIYer can do, or is it best left to the experts?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Netcord" (Nov 10th 2015, 2:27pm)

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Wednesday, November 11th 2015, 2:25pm

If you can sweat copper pipe it is a fairly easy job. Just break the joint or cut the pipe after the backflow, spin the old valve off, spin the new valve on and repair the pipe/joint. In some areas codes may require special licensing to do repairs on backflows. Also you will want to try to use the same kind of valve.

Rate this thread