You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

aerodan1

Monday, November 2nd 2015, 10:37pm

2nd blowout in same season?

I had the sprinklers blown out last week and have had to do a lot of hand watering for the newly seeded (4 weeks ago) 15K sq. ft. of yard. The majority of the yard is in the shade this time of year, but still the hand watering is very tough to keep up with since I'm still at the point where I can't let anything dry out (light frequent waterings).

I live in Massachusetts, forecast is pretty warm the rest of the week, and the meterologists have indicated no polar air mass to lock in any lasting cold for at least another week after this week. Debating whether to turn the sprinklers back on assuming I can line up an irrigation company to blow it out later this month. Not sure it's worth it, also I'm guessing some wear and tear every time the lines are blown out.
Also, the irrigation co. that blew it out last week only blew out each zone once. He set the Rainbird controller to auto, hooked up the compressor and just let it go. Something like 4 minutes a zone for the first zones and down to 2 minutes a zone by the end. Also gave a quick blow (a few seconds) through the PVB with the pet cocks open to get any excess out of that first. I thought it was best to do no more than 2 minutes a zone and run through each zone twice to make sure everything was out, but he said it wasn't necessary. I have 1 inch poly 125 psi pipe. Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks

aerodan1

Tuesday, November 3rd 2015, 10:55pm

Anybody? I was thinking Friday Nov. 20th or Monday Nov. 23rd would be possible blow out dates that would work (the long-range forecast in Massachusetts Metro-Boston area doesn't look very cold). Also, the company that blew out the sprinklers used a compressor that sat in the bed of a pickup truck (said it was their back up compressor). I didn't ask about the volume of the tank but I thought generally the tow-behind compressor was the size needed to do it right.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, November 4th 2015, 10:22am

Repeats aren't necessary. An operator using a smaller truckmount compressor might opt for a repeat on selected zones. Always, they are looking for heads popped up and blowing air/mist. Mist is okay.

aerodan1

Wednesday, November 4th 2015, 2:06pm

Thanks for the follow up, I figured since the guy has been doing this a long time and works for a reputable company the job he did was probably fine. I wanted to get a few extra weeks of watering from the sprinklers, it's been tough to keep the newly sprouted grass watered.
Repeats aren't necessary. An operator using a smaller truckmount compressor might opt for a repeat on selected zones. Always, they are looking for heads popped up and blowing air/mist. Mist is okay.