You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

lyghtnin

Thursday, October 29th 2015, 11:25am

Rainbird ESP-8Si Help

Experts,
I have the Rainbird ESP-8Si with 8 zones (only 7 used) There is a round circle plate in the ground outside which is full of water and near where the controller is in the garage and there is a rectangle box with 5 of the solenoids in the back of the house - I turned it on the other day and only the 2 zones in the front spray, the 5 in the back do not. I don't believe this has any modules and its unlikely that all 5 solenoids stopped working at the same time.

A) I'm assuming the round circle plate has the first 2 zones in it but it's full of water and cant tell so not sure where the solenoids are for the front 2 zones. Is this ok to be full of water or ?

B) The other 5 are not spraying and the box is in the back yard (and when cycling through the zones the controller shows these zones as going through their normal cycle, just not spraying the water)

What would cause the entire set of zones to not work in a controller that has no addon modules etc...?

Page 14 http://www.rainbird.com/documents/turf/man_ESPsi.pdf
Shows a wiring diagram and my guess is that the first 2 stations are on the MV and the last 6 are on the remaining numbered wiring area?

I'm a computer engineer not an electrician or landscape expert so I've
done my research but lacking the field experience with these.

Thanks!
Steven

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Thursday, October 29th 2015, 12:12pm

You could have a common wire which is going to the two stations in the front which is disconnected or broken somewhere.

lyghtnin

Thursday, October 29th 2015, 12:54pm

You could have a common wire which is going to the two stations in the front which is disconnected or broken somewhere.
Common wire? Two stations in the front? -- Do you mean zones? The two zones in the front work...

Disconnect or Broken somewhere? Yes that would be a possibility but unless you can be specific in your reply this doesn't help much. I see wires in the controller so is there one wire that connects to all 5 zones in the back that I should be looking at? Is there another way to verify?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, October 30th 2015, 7:46am

Is there a master valve wired to the controller? Often a small round box near the foundation will hold the master valve. If it's a larger round box, there could be a master valve and one or two zone valves. An electrical check with a multimeter is in order. Each wired zone should show a resistance of 20-60 ohms.

lyghtnin

Saturday, October 31st 2015, 1:01pm

No master valve - What I can tell you is there is power going to all 7 zones inside the controller. There is a brown wire that comes from the wiring pack for zones 1 & 2 that when unplugged from the common wire location in the controller - stops zones 1 & 2 from working.

The other pack of wiring (for zones 3-7) in the controller has a green wire that is inserted into the common wire location and these zones do not work and appears to be the wire that connects to all the valves in the box in the ground. So the green wire provides some power to the valves yet when plugged into the controller does nothing. I'm going to cut all the caps and re-wire each valve along with the green wire that is inserted into the common wire location in the controller and see if that fixes anything.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 31st 2015, 2:28pm

At some point you will need a multimeter, should you expect to maintain a sprinkler system without simply throwing parts at it. That said, it won't hurt anything to redo the valve connections.

Take photos before you undo any wiring.

lyghtnin

Monday, November 2nd 2015, 10:48am

At some point you will need a multimeter, should you expect to maintain a sprinkler system without simply throwing parts at it. That said, it won't hurt anything to redo the valve connections.

Take photos before you undo any wiring.
So the 2 valves in the front have blue/orange wires that go to zones 1 & 2. Then there is a brown wire that connects to the common which, when unplugged from the common, zones 1 & 2 don't work.

The 5 valves in the back have a green wire that connects all of them together and then connects into the common wire location - however after re-wiring them, none still work.

I tested the controller with the volt meter and each zone shows voltage going to each zone when the stations are active (even the 5 in the back).

I then took the volt meter and turned on zone 3 went to the back where the valve is and touched it's white wire and nothing. So the controller is working and showing it's sending power but the valves in the back are not receiving any.

So my looming questions is, for zones 1 & 2 the brown wire seems to have something to do with the powering of the valves, so I'm assuming the green wire does the same for the back 5 but I'm getting nothing even though they are both connected to the common wire location.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, November 2nd 2015, 12:16pm

Measuring voltage is only a start. You need to be measuring resistance from controller zone outputs to common, which would give you the solenoid resistance plus any added resistance from the wiring. Normal solenoid resistance is in the 20-60 ohm range.

Rate this thread