You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bassadict69

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 6:30am

Best nozzles for flower beds?

I plan on installing a small system in my flower beds by teeing off a water line on the house and running it to all the flower beds in the front of my house.

What size lines should I run to the heads?
What are the best kind of nozzle for flower beds?

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 8:05am

Wait. Are you teeing in off a potable water line from your house? You are going to need backflow protection for that. As for nozzles, that would depend on the size of your beds. Have you considered drip?

bassadict69

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 8:34am

I was planning to simply put a Y on the spigot on the side of the house and connect one side of the Y to a line going into the ground and to the beds. I will have to turn on the water at the spigot and open the valve on that side of the Y to water the beds. Is a backflow still needed?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 9:51am

You can run the water for this project through a manual anti-syphon valve and get top-rated backflow protection. These manual valves are able to be converted to automatic operation.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 3:38pm

If it is a newer spigot, it may already be equipped with backflow protection. This would be a round projection between the house and the valve. If not, you can buy an inexpensive hose bibb vacuum breaker.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5…bib%2Caps%2C219

bassadict69

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 6:13pm

No backflow built in...so, the vacuum breaker is all I would need?

Now, from there, what size plumbing to the nozzles? Which nozzles?

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 1:34pm

Again, that depends on the size of your beds and the water you have available. If you are using overhead spray nozzles I'd recommend these:
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Precis…zles-s/7456.htm
You can used them with a shrub adapter or a pop-up head. If you are using pop-ups, I'd recommend female nozzles with RainBird or Hunter heads/

bassadict69

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 5:11pm

That is just it...I have no clue what I need. Two of the beds run along the house and are about 12ft long and maybe 3ft out from the house. The other bed is a round bed around 2-3 trees and is maybe 10-12 ft in diameter.

I don't know if I need popups, or overheads or what...that is what I am trying to figure out.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Friday, October 23rd 2015, 2:13pm

I'd recommend drip. It is easy to install and it doesn't care how tall your plants are. You could also add a hose end timer so you don't have to turn it on and off manually.

bassadict69

Monday, October 26th 2015, 5:10am

Thanks SunCoLawns! I appreciate the help with this!

Any suggestions on timers?

Rate this thread