You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jsbeckton

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 6:28am

Drilling through Cinder BLock Wall

I will need to run my 1" copper mainline through my basement wall (not sure if its filled with concrete or not). What is the best way to do this and then seal it (hole will be underground)? I have read about some people renting a concrete hole saw while others are simply using a hammer to tap out a hole in the hollow block (assuming it is hollow).

For what its worth, its going to be hidden in my basement so it doesn't need to be beautiful, just water tight and not weaken the surrounding block is all I care about. Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 9:44am

A below-grade exit is no longer a great idea. Actually, it never was, but way back when, every bit of a sprinkler system could be at or below grade. Modern backflow prevention has changed that forever. With a backflow preventer above grade next to the house, it makes sense for the supply line to exit above grade.

Of course the one preferred tool for drilling through a masonry wall is a hammer drill (or rotary hammer), a big hammer drill. You can rent them. One means of avoiding the need for a hammer drill is to exit a basement at ceiling joist level, hopefully having nothing but wood and siding material to drill through.

jsbeckton

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 12:18pm

My utility room is a concrete vault basically, even concrete slab ceiling so not able to exit above grade without running line to other rooms first. Also, the house is brick so even if I exit above grade I would need to get through that.

Planned on exiting then going above for the PVB then back down and converting to copper underground for the mainline.

Evergreen Sprinkler

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 5:55pm

Maybe this won't work for you...Around here we always tie in to the potable supply before gets to the house..?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 5:58pm

Hydraulic cement is what you use to seal a below-grade hole in a foundation wall.

jsbeckton

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 8:29pm

Great, hydraulic cement it is.

I don't think the water company will be too happy if I tie in outside since the water meter is in my basement! :)

Evergreen Sprinkler

Friday, October 30th 2015, 12:03pm

I don't think the water company will be too happy if I tie in outside since the meter is in my basement! :)
Ahh gotcha. I wasn't aware that they put meters in the houses. I'm located in the Pacific Northwest and the meters are usually out by the street.

jsbeckton

Monday, November 9th 2015, 6:44am

Hydraulic cement worked great and was pretty easy to use. I ended up just drilling a few 1/4" holes on a circular pattern with a small hammer drill then punching out the center rather than using something more elaborate (inside and outside of wall). Worked like a charm.

Rate this thread