You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

maximus20895

Monday, October 19th 2015, 7:25pm

What about the Water Behind the Backflow?

Alright, yet another simple question. I understand how you would get all the water out of the pipes from the backflow on to the heads, but what about where you tie into the main all the way where the backflow is?

I've seen some drains when people have a basement, but my house is build on a slab. I did see a picture that showed a blow out valve where you connect your air hose to which was right after the isolation valve. I thought this might work? Any ideas? Also, what about the water right behind the isolation valve? How do you make sure that doesn't freeze?

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 8:48am

Now you know why it is recommended to bring the supply line out above grade, and not underground. No inside drains required.

maximus20895

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 4:54pm

What do you mean? I am confused! ?(

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 5:57pm

I mean find a better diagram to copy from.

Evergreen Sprinkler

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 6:08pm

I've never understood these diagrams that show the main water tie-in inside or under the house.... ( must be a warm climate thing) not a good idea in my opinion. We do our main and drain valves together outside between the water meter and the house. It does suck digging that 3-4 foot hole to get to the water line though.

maximus20895

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 6:51pm

I just wanna know where to blow out the water from the isolation valve all the way to where the backflow starts!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 8:23pm

I've never understood these diagrams that show the main water tie-in inside or under the house.... ( must be a warm climate thing) not a good idea in my opinion. We do our main and drain valves together outside between the water meter and the house. It does suck digging that 3-4 foot hole to get to the water line though.
Water meters are inside basements, in the northeast states, so you have some indoor plumbing to do.
I just wanna know where to blow out the water from the isolation valve all the way to where the backflow starts!
I hope you're kidding. It should be obvious that your diagram has two valves that can be opened to drain the upstream pipe (letters F and B)

maximus20895

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 8:54pm

I am sorry, I think there is some confusion so let me clear things up.

1) I live in Knoxville, TN and do not have a basement of any sort since the house is build on a slab.

2) My water meter is outside, about a foot down in the ground in a valve box.

3) The diagram I posted was just some diagram I found on the internet, it just had a rough idea of what I was thinking would work.

Basically, what I am asking is, if a drain valve such as letter F would work. Would it be okay for me to put an air hose fitting just after the isolation valve which is right after I tap into the main water line going to the house. Once again, all of this will be outside, underground.

I hope I have cleared things up. If you have a better idea please let me know. I really thank you for answering all of my questions over the last month. You have been really helpful!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 20th 2015, 11:07pm

Supplying your location when you register at Sprinklertalk will stop a lot of confusion before it can start.

maximus20895

Wednesday, October 21st 2015, 12:11am

Okay, I updated it!

Sorry for the confusion!