You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

aerodan1

Saturday, October 17th 2015, 11:59am

Leaking Rainbird SAM PRS 1804's

Has anyone had problems with Rainbird SAM PRS 1804's leaking? On a couple of them I am having an issue where the top of the nozzle doesn't quite sit flush on the head body (i.e. it doesn't close 100%), and then water trickles out continuously. I tried fixing one recently as I saw there was a pebble or two inside the head body, so it wasn't allowing the pop up stick to close properly, but it's leaking again (maybe something else got inside). Another head was spurting open every 6 or 7 seconds a little bit. I don't have a wet / dry shop vac so it's a pain to get the standing water out of head once I shut the water off in order to see if there is any debris inside. It's basically a couple of problem heads on one zone that's giving me an issue. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 17th 2015, 3:10pm

just swap out the heads and examine the faulty ones at your liesure

aerodan1

Saturday, October 17th 2015, 8:21pm

just swap out the heads and examine the faulty ones at your liesure
Yea I figure, just no backup head at the moment. Haven't had any issues with any of the many Hunter PGP's yet but several Rainbird 1804's have been a nuisance.

aerodan1

Saturday, October 24th 2015, 5:24pm

UPDATE: I picked up a few extra 1804's today, but I'm not sure the heads are the issue, there's some problem that's affecting the zone itself. One or more heads on this zone leaks at all times. If I "fix" one head, then one or more other heads start leaking, and then I fix those and the original leaking head is back to leaking again. The zone otherwise operates normally and I don't see any issue looking in the valve box, but I'm guessing it may be an issue with the valve internally, maybe I should go through the Hunter valve troubleshooting protocol for this valve.

So if a head is leaking, I pull up on the nozzle assembly and typically there is some pressure built up and usually a quick burst of water shoots out. If I pull up on the assembly a few times, letting it drop back down after each time I pull it up, then this usually will stop the leak at this head, but then one or more others will now leak. I don't know what the problem is, as I have another spray zone with the same heads set up right near this one, as well as 2 other spray zones, and none have this issue. Any help is much appreciated, I'd like to fix this problem before the irrigation service blows out the system this Wednesday.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "aerodan1" (Oct 24th 2015, 5:33pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 25th 2015, 9:02am

Check the supply pressure when the zone is running, besides walking the zone and looking for leaks.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Sunday, October 25th 2015, 2:23pm

It sounds like you have a leaky valve. Turn off the water and check the diaphragm.

Rate this thread