You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

aerodan1

Monday, September 14th 2015, 12:52am

Wiring question

I will have 12 zones in my irrigation setup, as well as a master valve. The 18-13 wire is only good for 12 zones, and I need wire for 15 conductors total (12 zones, 1 master, 1 common and 1 for future expansion/other). The master and first two zones are in the front left yard, and the rest of the zones will be in the back and side parts of the yard. Should I run 18-4 in the front yard (for the 2 zones, master and common wire) and then 18-13 for the rest of the main line (10 for zones, 1 common, 2 for future expansion/other)?

Thanks,

Dan

mrfixit

Monday, September 14th 2015, 3:22am

You didn't say how the valves are broken up in the back and side yards. 6 and 4?
Maybe buy a roll of 7 strand for the back and side. Also however much 4 or 5 strand for the front that you need.
When you buy the wire make sure to buy extra. It's very easy to measure then come up short. I always plan on at least 10 extra feet.

aerodan1

Monday, September 14th 2015, 2:02pm

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/home/Photos?preview=Wiring.valve+layout.pdf[/img] Please see attached for an approximate layout - I have numbered the zone valves where I plan to place the valves, M is for master valve and D is for dripline zone valves. I figure for the first short run where the main starts from the PVB (noted by a red line coming out from the garage by the POC in north-south fashion) I should have both the 18-4 and 18-13 wire, and then just run the 18-4 for the short distance to the master, 1 and 2, and run the 18-13 to the rest of the yard? What would be a best practice for attaching the wire to the pipe before I pull it? Thank you much,

Dan

You didn't say how the valves are broken up in the back and side yards. 6 and 4?
Maybe buy a roll of 7 strand for the back and side. Also however much 4 or 5 strand for the front that you need.
When you buy the wire make sure to buy extra. It's very easy to measure then come up short. I always plan on at least 10 extra feet.

mrfixit

Monday, September 14th 2015, 4:13pm

Your link doesn't work. It says the folder doesn't exist.

Go to www.tinypic.com . Upload the pics there and cut and paste the FORUM CODE here if you can't get your link to work.

aerodan1

Tuesday, September 15th 2015, 10:52pm

Let's try this, thanks

Your link doesn't work. It says the folder doesn't exist.

Go to www.tinypic.com . Upload the pics there and cut and paste the FORUM CODE here if you can't get your link to work.

mrfixit

Wednesday, September 16th 2015, 12:12am

As long as you have enough wires ran everywhere you can do pretty much what you want.

I'd run a 5 strand to the front. Then either run two sets of 7 or 8 strand. One strand to the first set of 5 or 6? valves. And the other strand to the other 5 valves (5-6-8-9-10).
Or you can do what you wanted to do. Run a 13 strand to the first set of valves. Then run a 7 strand from there to the rest of the valves.
If you go this way make sure the color of the wires that go to the backyard match where the 7 and 13 are spliced together.
Or you could run 5 strand from valves 5-6 to 8-9-10.

You could go 13 strand all the way but you're spending extra money on a lot of 13 strand you don't need going to the back yard.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Sep 16th 2015, 12:17am)

aerodan1

Wednesday, September 16th 2015, 8:34pm

Thank you for the follow up mrfixit, so if I run two 7 / 8 strands to the back / side yards, I don't need to run both together starting from the controller (or would I?). Also what is best way to attach the wire to the pipe if I'm pulling the pipe? Thanks,

Dan

mrfixit

Thursday, September 17th 2015, 4:07am

Thank you for the follow up mrfixit, so if I run two 7 / 8 strands to the back / side yards, I don't need to run both together starting from the controller (or would I?). Also what is best way to attach the wire to the pipe if I'm pulling the pipe? Thanks,

Dan

Yes you'll need to start both strands at the controller.
I said earlier to plan on having an extra 10 feet of wire. Now that I've seen the layout I'd plan on having an extra 10 feet to each valve box. Maybe 15 or 20 to the back. One time I ran a 100 foot run of wire and I came up 2 feet short. It's really easy to do. Buy extra.
As far as attaching the wire to the pipe and pulling it, someone else will have to answer that.
I've never seen pipe pulled let alone attaching a wire to it. We use PVC pipe where I live.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Thursday, September 17th 2015, 7:43am

You can attach the wire to the chain that holds the grip. I usually thread it through 2 or 3 links and then back upon itself.

aerodan1

Thursday, September 17th 2015, 6:27pm

Thank you, I'll make sure to leave plenty of extra wire also.

Dan

Yes you'll need to start both strands at the controller.
I said earlier to plan on having an extra 10 feet of wire. Now that I've seen the layout I'd plan on having an extra 10 feet to each valve box. Maybe 15 or 20 to the back. One time I ran a 100 foot run of wire and I came up 2 feet short. It's really easy to do. Buy extra.
As far as attaching the wire to the pipe and pulling it, someone else will have to answer that.
I've never seen pipe pulled let alone attaching a wire to it. We use PVC pipe where I live.

Rate this thread