You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


New Member

Posts: 4

Location: USA


Tuesday, May 16th 2006, 6:55pm

Newbie needs advice

I am completely new to the world of sprinklers and home ownership, so please bear with me.

As near as I can tell, my system has about 20 GPM.
I have some sort of Lawn Genie sprinklers that pop up from a large green housing and contain an impact head inside. I have only 5 of them.

Sorry, I only have MSPaint.
The one in the upper-right hand corner is broken, so it is jammed in one position (if I set it normally, it just spins around and never reverses). Since I have to replace it (or part of it), I was wondering if I should look at replacing all of them to better units or redesign the system.


Senior Member


Wednesday, May 17th 2006, 11:18am

You don't have head to head coverage, but if there aren't any dead or dry spots I would let it go. 20gpm means you are probably at 4gpm per head. Find the rotor that you like and make sure it will throw 40 feet at 4gpm at your operating pressure (while the zone is running and no other water is being used, put a pressure gauge on a hose bib). Impacts are going to go bad, so you can change them all at once or buy 5 rotors then wait for them to go bad, or buy one and change them out as needed.


New Member

Posts: 4

Location: USA


Wednesday, May 17th 2006, 5:58pm

OK, second question then; how do I replace a sprinkler like that? I've replaced a normal pop up with the nipple coming up, but this one enters at the side. Would I need to replace the entire assembly, or just part of it?


New Member

Posts: 2

Location: USA


Wednesday, May 17th 2006, 9:15pm

You first will need to dig up the the connection to the white pvc pipe. This will make the hole large enough that you can unscrew your "Can Rotor (RB MaxiPaw?)". The fitting is now just connected to the black poly pipe. I personally would add a fitting- a 1/2" elbow (M thread x F thread), which will give you a very manuverable swing joint.
You will need to know the size thread your existing heads have, if 1/2", and your replacement rotors' threads are 3/4", just use a 1/2" x 3/4" thread by thread bushing. If visa versa cut the 3/4" barbed elbow off close to the end of the barbed fitting and replace with a 1/2" elbow (barb X 1/2 thread), and add 1/2" elbow -(female thread X male thread), giving you a swing joint.
Sounds complicated but if you pick up (5) Rain Bird 5004pc here as well as the proper fittings, cost is less than 75$, and once your look closely how they connect to the piping, you'll get it.
Brnet E. Wastman
Landscape Services
Puyallup, WA


Supreme Member


Thursday, May 18th 2006, 4:07pm

I'd go with swing pipe. The swing joint you mention could leak if not assembled properly.

Rate this thread