You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

corker

Monday, September 7th 2015, 10:33am

System Filter and Control Valve Issues

Just bought a house in Central FL with an existing irrigation system (~20yrs old). I noticed low system pressure and I checked out everything I can see. Pump runs fine, water leaks from around the flow control valve top to body seam and filter looks all full of algae. Here is the issue: I went to unscrew the filter housing (which is on the pump suction side - well side) and there seemed to be a lot of pressure on the system. I put a rag over the threaded section and let it drain for 30 min - there was still a lot of pressure (water squirting out pretty good). I am hesitant at this point to pull the filter housing off for fear of a 1-1/2 stream of water shooting straight out & not being able to cap it!

Is this just well pressure that will drop when I release the filter housing? Also, is there a diaphram under the flow control valve that needs replacing?
I can take a photo of the system if needed.

Thanks in advance,
Corker

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 7th 2015, 11:08am

photos are always appreciated, and often very helpful

corker

Monday, September 7th 2015, 12:02pm

A few Pictures of the system

Well, it looks like it didn't accept the link from Photobucket. I'll try again

May have to copy and paste link into your browser.
http://s111.photobucket.com/user/BCork/media/Sprinkler/IMG_5268.jpg.html

I hope this works from PhotoBucket.

Thanks,
Corker

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 7th 2015, 4:04pm

what you have there is a hydraulic valve - it is receiving water from a source inside the house

corker

Monday, September 7th 2015, 4:42pm

Yeah, I should have mentioned that the pump is inside the house to keep it out of the elements. The black plastic line comes from the pump to the top of the flow control valve. Timer/controller is inside the house as well to protect them from the elements.
Is it normal to have pressure on the suction side of pump where the filter is mounted?

Thanks,
Corker

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 7th 2015, 5:08pm

How long is the pump shut off before you try to open the filter? Since you may have a foot valve in the well, it is not impossible to have pressure at the filter, although the water on top of the grey hydraulic valve would seem to indicate a leak, which would eventually release the pressure.

corker

Tuesday, September 8th 2015, 6:37am

The pump was shut down for over a day before I tried to remove the filter housing. As I said, I unscrewed the filter housing a few turns and water was squirting out around the threads pretty good. I put a rag over the squirting water, unscrewed the housing a little more and left it for 30 minutes. When I returned the water was still squirting out with the same amount of force. I am probably just being a little chicken with this filter removal.

The hydraulic valve is leaking at the bonnet seal and should relieve any system pressure. There are no valves in the system above the ground - I should put a valve on both suction and discharge sides of the pump (valve off for service). Are there any other improvements/upgrades that can be made to this basic system?
Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 8th 2015, 8:37am

A very simple addition would be to replace the plug on the bottom of the hydraulic valve with a threaded bushing and a drain valve.

corker

Wednesday, September 9th 2015, 7:08am

I'll get back to this job this weekend.

remove filter housing and see how much pressure is behind it & Clean filter
Remove plug on bottom of hydraulic valve and install nipple and ball valve to drain
Remove bonnet on hydraulic valve to find out why it is leaking

THanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 9th 2015, 12:04pm

It isn't impossible for the well to be free-flowing, but they usually have a shutoff valve installed in them so that you can work on the system without flooding.