You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, September 6th 2015, 1:09pm

6 inch pop up with 8 inch body spray head compatible with Rain Bird 1800

Hi. I have a lawn with a bunch of Rain Bird 1804 spray heads. It has worked great for years with hardly any maintenance. Through the years, the turf has built up so some of the spray heads are 2 inches below the dirt, so they do not pop up above the grass. A while back I bought a supply of 6 inch spray heads and for those problem areas I just unscrew the 4 inch pop up from the riser and screwed in a 6 inch pop up and that brought the spray head up to an appropriate level.

Here's the problem I have now. The supply of 6 inch spray heads I bought a few years ago is used up. Now that I go back to buy some more, I notice all the 1806 spray heads I can find have bodies which are 3.5 inches longer than the 1804. The 6 inch spray heads I bought before have bodies which are 2 inches longer than the 1804 (as I would expect). I realize I can just use a 2 inch longer riser and re-use the 4 inch pop up, but I really like the 6 inch pop up.

I would really rather not use a side inlet and funny pipe to use the 1806 spray head with 9.5 inch body, because that is going to be significantly more work. Is there a "normal" spray head with a 8 inch body? Or off-brand spray head body which I can mix in with my Rain Bird system which fits onto the risers I have and uses the nozzles I have on the old 1804 spray heads? I don't need any fancy features such as check valve, debris catcher, anti-microb, side inlet, or any of that sort of stuff. Just a plain 6 inch pop up with 8 inch body.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 6th 2015, 6:18pm

This might be as close as you will get for a compatible spray body with no side inlet to get in the way.

Sunday, September 6th 2015, 7:10pm

Thanks. I feel bad that I can no longer get any spray head with 8 inch body. I guess staying with 4 inch spray head and using longer riser, or putting in a 6 inch spray head with a crazy long body and with funny pipe are my only options.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 7th 2015, 8:06am

there's always the 20/20 hindsight version where every single head is swing-joint connected, so all you ever have to do is dig and raise the heads :)

There is nothing very magical about head heights for hi-pop sprays. They are expected to be swing-joint connected.

Monday, September 7th 2015, 10:32am

I didn't install it, but yes, that would have been nice.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 7th 2015, 11:19am

You could just build some swing joints of your own, and continue to use the 4-inch popups. If you didn't mind having to use different nozzles, you could try the Toro 6-inch body.

Monday, September 7th 2015, 1:08pm

How do I properly construct a swing joint?

mrfixit

Monday, September 7th 2015, 5:35pm

I'm curious as to which sprinkler you're referring to when you're say 8" body?

I know the Hunter SRS spray bodies were shorter. It's a cheaper made sprinkler and has been discontinued.

Maybe check Ebay for what you're looking for.

Monday, September 7th 2015, 5:59pm

This has me so curious now I will probably have to go find one or two of them and dig them up and disconnect them, wash them up and look for markings on them. When I bought them a few years ago, they looked exactly like Rain Bird 1800 series, definitely were 6 inch pop ups, and had a body of about 8 inches, not the 9-3/4 inch which now seems to be standard and all I can find. Perhaps they were an older model of 1806, or maybe counterfeit Rain Bird, who knows. I bought them in a batch from eBay or Amazon, and my purchase history does not go back far enough to look. Probably something like 2011. They appeared new, but could have been new old stock. I am just amazed the 6 inch pop up body is not 2 inches longer than the 4 inch pop up body.

Evergreen Sprinkler

Thursday, September 10th 2015, 5:56pm

You might have been using the Hit 900 series telescopic heads. They where a Rainbird 1800 knock off.

Rate this thread