You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

88goldwing

Unregistered

Tuesday, September 1st 2015, 2:28pm

Restarting Rain Bird ESPLX-ME Program at a Specific Zone?

I had to replace my old trusty Hunter irrigation controller with a Rainbird. With the Hunter, if I had to interrupt a watering cycle, I could easily restart at a specific zone. I'm having trouble doing that with the Rainbird (model ESPLX-ME). Only instructions I've been able to find say to switch to 'Manual', select 'Start PGM', 'Run', 'Next', then when the program starts, switch to 'Auto'. On that screen, I can click 'Adv' until the zone I want appears. That all works, but when I start it this way the word 'Manual' still shows in the window and, worse, it goes thru all of the zones, then starts the program over again - so it never stops until I switch it off! Anybody familiar with this controller who can help? Thanks!

mrfixit

Tuesday, September 1st 2015, 4:52pm

Read page 84 and see if that works.
Page 84

88goldwing

Unregistered

Tuesday, September 1st 2015, 5:09pm

Probably will, but that runs a specific station only. To run additional stations, you have to add them on individually. So if I want to start at station 10 and continue on thru all remaining stations, I have to add them on one at a time. What I want to do is a form of what is described on the following page (85), which is to manually start a program, advance through the stations until I get to station 10 (or whatever station I want to start on), then have it automatically proceed thru the rest of the stations in the program, and then STOP. It does all of that, except instead of stopping after the last station in the program, it starts over at station 1.

mrfixit

Tuesday, September 1st 2015, 10:13pm

I understand what you're trying to do now. I'm surprised it starts over at station 1. I'm a Hunter guy myself. I don't think I've even seen the controller in question installed anywhere.

If you're always going to do the same zones, starting with zone 10, you could make a second program on the B program. Don't put any run times on stations 1 thru 9. Just program the other zones how you want them to run then run program B manually.

88goldwing

Unregistered

Wednesday, September 2nd 2015, 8:11am

Can't really do that - I just used station 10 as an example. What usually happens is I'm in the yard working when the sprinklers are running and I want to work in an area where they are running so I turn them off. When I'm done, I just want them to start where they left off. I could do it with the Hunter controller by selecting 'Manual - all stations' and bumping thru the stations until I got to where I needed to start, then turn it to 'Auto'. Doesn't seem to work that way with the RB unless I'm missing something. Lightning fried my Hunter and I needed a replacement. I'm about to add some stations and needed one that can go to more than 32 stations, which is why I went to RB. (Only Hunter >32 stations is a commercial unit and much more expensive.)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 2nd 2015, 9:06am

I think you are stuck with the Rainbird controller's operating parameters, so long as you're on a budget. As it happens, the idea of "interrupt" and "resume" is somewhat contrary to standard controller operation, which would be taking place at night, while everyone's asleep. How large a property is this?

The only sure alternative to the Rainbird would be a Hunter ICC, now discontinued, unfortunately.

88goldwing

Unregistered

Wednesday, September 2nd 2015, 10:35am

Hunter ICC is what I replaced. Property is about 5 acres. I'm running 31 zones now, getting ready to add about 10-15 more, then I'll be done. Knew I was maxed out on the old controller - the lightning hit made it final. Could have replaced the timer modules, but that's a needless expense if I'm adding zones anyway. (Other option was adding another controller, but that wasn't an attractive solution either.) RB seems fine other than this hitch. Supposedly has better built-in lightning protection than Hunter. A few more features, built-in remote capability, and more flexible (wireless) rain sensor are all nice touches.

mrfixit

Wednesday, September 2nd 2015, 3:11pm

You have a large property. There's no way I'd maintain a property like that without a remote control. That's one of the main reasons I like the Hunter line. I like their remotes.
I've never used the Rainbird remote so I can't comment on it's performance but I'd say you need one.

88goldwing

Unregistered

Thursday, September 3rd 2015, 9:24am

Yes, I had a remote for the Hunter which is, of course, incompatible with the RB. I don't have a remote yet for the RB, but will be ordering one. My understanding is that the RB is "plug ready" for the remote receiver.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 3rd 2015, 9:54am

Pros do not love the Rainbird remotes, for some reason.

How often and for how long are you needing to interrupt watering?

Rate this thread