You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Ojaime

Unregistered

Saturday, August 22nd 2015, 8:34pm

Compression fittings

Hello all,

I recently finish installing my irrigation system and has been working flawlessly for the past three weeks until today when I noticed water coming up from the ground near my back flow preventer.

After digging, I noticed my compression tee that splits my irrigation main, was leaking water from one end. The fitting was tight, but water was gushing out. So, to fix this, I opted for a glue connection instead of a compression fitting.

Now my biggest concern is that I have a compression fitting on my water main where it splits to my irrigation main. I'm afraid that fitting will fail on me as well, so I want to also change that fitting with a glue type fitting. My water main is 1.25" and I have in hand a 1.5" slide repair coupler that I can use in conjunction with a glue type Tee and reducing fittings to adapt to my water main; however, I'm wondering if adding a slightly bigger coupler to my water main would affect water pressure or anything else?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 23rd 2015, 9:54am

You don't use slide repair couplers on any continuously-pressurized plumbing. If you cut into a shallow PVC line that runs from a curbside water meter to supply the system, you could rebuild the cut-in plumbing with schedule 40 pipe and fittings, along with 3 PVC unions, one for each leg of the connection tee.