You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 3:44pm

re-purposing a pair of spray heads for drip line irrigation

I have a pair of Toro spray heads isolated on Zone 5 (the only two outlets on that zone) that pop up and water the foliage of the shrubs in front of them. Useless, I know. But that's how the previous homeowner had it installed.

I went to my local irrigation supply warehouse today and purchased the necessary equipment to re-purpose (and slightly re-locate the two spray heads) with drip line irrigation equipment so that the root systems are watered instead of the foliage.

One spray head currently protrudes from the mulch line between the house and the back of 5 Azaleas. The other spray head waters a rougly "C" shaped collection of hedge-trimmed Boxwoods on the other side of my stoop. That spray head is located beneath grass-level about a foot away from the mulch line. Both spray heads are useless IMO for watering large shrubs in this manner.

So not only do I want to re-purpose the spray heads for this zone, I want to relocate the pressure regulated tees that will stick out of the ground and allow me to form my drip line loops (one smaller loop for the five Azaleas, and one much larger loop (less than 100') for the Boxwoods, another Azalea, an Evergreen, and a Japanese maple which are all adjacent to the Boxwood).

After the lengthy explanation above, my only question at this point would my irrigation company blow out Zone 5 at the end of the season? Do they have a special setting on their compressor? It just happens to works out neatly that the entire Zone 5 will be drip irrigation only.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 6:57pm

They will blow it out exactly like the rest of the system. Most compressors are pressure regulated as to not exceed the limits of what a system can handle pressure wise. Provided you do a decent job making your connections, you should have no issues.

Rate this thread