You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, August 17th 2015, 10:53am

Well, heck. I should have looked at the manual that was linked earlier in the thread.

I assumed the fuse that was in the controller was the original and correct fuse (no recollection here of anyone other than the original installer working in the controller box). Sure enough I see where it the manual calls for a .5 amp fuse. Man, thanks for pointing that out. I'll look at testing once I've got the right fuses in hand.

Tuesday, August 18th 2015, 8:54pm

I isolated the problem with our system to zone 5 and for a short-term solution just turned that zone off. Now I have seven of the eight zones working and just skip the problem zone. I've cycled the system through a couple of times without incident.

Having been married to my wife for only two years and not living here when she had the system installed about six years ago, I'm not as familiar with the system setup as I'd like to be. She has kept pretty good track of any maintenance that she has had done, but over the time frame since installation she has had only a few sprinkler heads replaced. She was at first not able to locate the system layout, but actually found that today.

Now I have a rough idea where the valves are located, but our ground here right now is like baked brick given that we have been under drought-like conditions for the last couple of months. "Gently" probing the ground is not even an easy option at the moment. I'm actually a bit worried about the potential of doing some peripheral harm to the system with too much probing to find the valves. Maybe I'm being overly cautious. I suppose I could just soak the ground in that area and make for a little easier digging. (?)

As much as I enjoy looking into this stuff myself for educational purposes or just to do it, I might find it easier to call in an expert for at least a service call at this point. But I'm also pretty sure I could test and/or change out a solenoid I can relatively easily get to it for testing to see if it needs replacing.

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 12:49pm

Sprinkler valves in your area might be each in their own individual small round valve box, so the grass can easily grow over them. Pros use a locator to follow the wires. You can rent one.