You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bassadict69

Tuesday, August 4th 2015, 5:55pm

Best heads for dirty water?

My soon to be irrigation system will be running from a pump which is pulling water from the lake. I currently run a water hose off it to several of the cheapo sprinkler heads from home depot. Every time I turn around, I am having to clean the heads and nozzles to keep them working correctly.

Are any of the heads better at handling dirty water than others?

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 4th 2015, 9:25pm

What are you currently using to as a lake screen?

A section of 4" PVC well screen works well. Or you could buy a lake basket and replaceable mesh bag to filter larger particles.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 5th 2015, 5:20pm

The impact style are going to be your best bet for dirty water. Have you checked to see if there is a rip in the mesh sock? Perhaps you're using small nozzles. Ask WetBoots about the Rainbird Maxipaw. He's probably been waiting to jump in!

I've pulled water from some mud holes before, but rarely run into plugged rotor nozzles.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 6th 2015, 8:04am

Well, there's a setup. It is true that the Maxipaw impact heads have a better chance of surviving cruddy water than any other common rotor head. Pros don't install this head on city-water systems, because standard rotors are easier to maintain. A homeowner doing his own installation, especially on dirty water, will have less clogging issues, and can easily maintain a Maxipaw system.

bassadict69

Thursday, August 6th 2015, 4:07pm

I will be giving them a try...

Rate this thread