You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jteer

Unregistered

Saturday, August 1st 2015, 2:03pm

Best 2 inch pvc check valve?

My irrigation pump has a 60ft long intake running into the lake with a
pvc check valve and a lake screen on the end. After some priming issues,
I dove out and retrieved the check valve and it is sticking open.

Are there any particular check valves recommended for this type use?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 2nd 2015, 8:23am

You might get some valve by adding a check valve at the pump.

bassadict69

Sunday, August 2nd 2015, 8:48am

If I put the check valve at the pump, will it still be able to pull water the 60ft of plumbing that is beyond the valve running into the lake? I would definitely be easier to pull and clean if I could do that!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 2nd 2015, 4:45pm

the lack of a foot valve isn't an issue unless the height of suction lift is significant - I've had suction lines over 50 feet long, with only a check valve at the pump - did it that way so that the suction line could be drained for the winter while not needing to be handled

a good brand of foot valves is Flomatic

bassadict69

Sunday, August 2nd 2015, 7:39pm

Suction height is 8-10 ft

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 3rd 2015, 12:46pm

That's a bit more height than I try to work with, but not likely an issue. In fact, with a good electric motor, it might never be an issue. The one instance where I found a foot valve to be all but a necessity was when I was pumping water from a hand-dug well with an engine-driven utility pump. At a 20-foot lift, and no foot valve, the small gasoline engine began making noises like it was going to throw a rod. With a foot valve, the alarming engine noises ceased and pumping from the 20-foot lift proceeded normally.

Without a foot valve, there might priming issues, since you won't be able to pour water into the pump, and fill the suction line. I use Goulds jet pumps when I can, and they handle air without problems. Other brands, maybe not so easily. YMMV

Rate this thread