You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

MPow3r

Unregistered

Friday, July 31st 2015, 9:41am

Going from backflow preventer to PVC

So, I had a break occur right after my BFP. The connection was straight down from BFP to a 90° bend all copper or brass until the end of the bend. Then male PVC into that bend underground. The threads of the PVC snapped and caused a leak. I am imagining that the removal/installation of the BFP over the winter/summer caused the threads to weaken and eventually break at the weak PVC point. To fix this and strengthen, should I just extend out of the 90° bend with more brass or copper pipe and extend the transition to PVC a little further out?

From what I read, I need to keep the transition from PVC to metal as male PVC into metal female, correct?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, July 31st 2015, 12:29pm

Pros like something even stronger than the fitting you saw broken, that being a schedule 80 TOE nipple. (TOE = threaded one end)

Combine a TOE nipple and a sch 80 PVC union, and you get a heavy-duty repair for your system.

Rate this thread