You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tds73

Starting Member

Wednesday, July 29th 2015, 6:11pm

zone not working....confused..please help

Hello,
I am new to this forum and having an underground sprinkler system. Need some tips.
I have a zone that does not come on by the controller. There is 24 volts getting to the wire at the valve. The valve measures 41 ohms. I can turn the valve on by turning the little knob or by turning the solenoid 1/4 turn. I just put a new solenoid in, hoping to solve the problem and still nothing. Any tips/hints?
The solenoid is a rain bird, if it matters. I have also changed the wire at the controller to another zone just to make sure it is not the controller.
Thanks.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Friday, July 31st 2015, 8:19pm

Are you measuring resistance from the controller? Take voltage readings at the selonoid connection with the selonoid attached. In the case of a ground fault, you may get 24 volts on an unloaded circuit. Attach a selonoid and you could see a drop in voltage.

Rdguerra@flash.net

Unregistered

Sunday, August 16th 2015, 7:36am

Zone not coming on during watering cycle????

i have one zone that started having low pressure until it had none at all during normal watering cycle. I assumed it was a bad solenoid and replaced it, no change so I figured it was a bad diaphram and replaced that, no change. This is a irritrol 205 valve, very simple operation.
You can back out bleeder screw and water passes through valve without any problem and all sprinkler heads work On this zone. I can back out the solenoid and the zone works and sprays from each head as well. I had my helper turn the zone on manually at the control box while I listened at the valve, the solenoid is clicking when the zone is turned on but no water is coming through the valve. I went to the control box, identified the colored wire for this zone and confirmed that it was connected to the solenoid with the other side of the solenoid being connected to the common.

So now I am at a total loss as to what to check for next??? The wire that comes from the controller for this zone is blue and the common wire is white. Both of these are connected to the solenoid and the solenoid clicks when the controller zone is turned on. The remaining blue wire is in the box but not connected to anything and I assume that the cable carrying all the zone wires are set up in this fashion.

Any ideas what I can check for next to get this zone working? I live rurally and it is very expensive to have a repair man come out.

HELP!

mrfixit

Sunday, August 16th 2015, 6:35pm

Did you install the bonnet a tad rotated on the first attempt? You might have pinched the nipple not allowing water to flow through it.
Take the valve back apart and see. Also look for debris clogging a port. Stick a piece of wire through the port on the valve body below the solenoid.

Evergreen Sprinkler

Thursday, August 20th 2015, 12:07pm

RE: zone not working....confused..please help

Hello,
I am new to this forum and having an underground sprinkler system. Need some tips.
I have a zone that does not come on by the controller. There is 24 volts getting to the wire at the valve. The valve measures 41 ohms. I can turn the valve on by turning the little knob or by turning the solenoid 1/4 turn. I just put a new solenoid in, hoping to solve the problem and still nothing. Any tips/hints?
The solenoid is a rain bird, if it matters. I have also changed the wire at the controller to another zone just to make sure it is not the controller.
Thanks.
You may have a bad diaphragm. Assuming that you have a Rainbird DV valve, they are a reverse flow valve and meter water through a small screen that is on the diaphragm. If that screen in gone or there is a hole in the diaphragm the valve will fail in the closed position. Also check to make sure that the small hole under the solenoid is not blocked with a paper clip.

Rate this thread