You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tony G

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 29th 2015, 11:36am

Head Connections - Male or Female Ell?

Hi everyone, just a quick question. On my install (hunter pro sprays using poly pipe) they've recommended i terminate each line with an insert x 1/2" female Ell, then use a 1/2" close nipple to attach each head. I know I can buy an insert x 1/2" male ell and just go straight into the sprinkler head. Is there a reason they're recommending the female ell with a nipple? I know when i tore out the old system they did it that way as well so surely there is a good reason? Or are they just trying to sell more parts!?

Thanks in advance.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 29th 2015, 1:30pm

Either way is less than it should be. Get some 1/2-inch marlex street ells, and insert x 1/2" mpt ells, and create swing joints for each head.

Tony G

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 29th 2015, 2:24pm

Thanks Wet Boots,

I keep reading about the funny pipe or swing pipe method but around this part of the world (Canadian Prairies) no one knows what I'm talking about. All of the major irrigation distributors around here laughed (literally) when I mentioned the concept. The only thing they stock thats even close to that is the Hunter pre-assembled swing joints which they told me are only used by contractors on large commercial jobs. While we have the convenience of working with poly pipe you can't always get the end of the tubing to exactly where your head needs to be (at least I can't). They said to just use Tees and use more poly pipe to get straight to the head.

Working with swing pipe would make life so much easier as far as placing heads goes.

Any reason the marlex has to be used? Could you just use regular pvc insert fittings? Or do these fittings have that special spiral barb on them?

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 29th 2015, 5:32pm

marlex is another name for a type high-density polyethylene that is molded into threaded fittings, specifically, MPT x FPT elbows (street elbows)

simply put, a head with a marlex elbow threaded into it is stronger than a head with a swing-pipe elbow threaded into it, and the combination of two elbows gives a sprinkler head full range of movement when you set it in place

no teflon tape required for any marlex elbow connection, they are self-sealing leak-free, because the material can yield against what it connects to

Rate this thread