You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, June 23rd 2015, 10:34am

Old sprinkler system worth saving?

After a little digging I came across a frayed wire. No controller in the house or the garage. Not sure there is enough there to be saved? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 23rd 2015, 10:58am

What you have unearthed are antisyphon valves that are supposed to be well above grade, so they can be a foot higher than any pipe or head in the sprinkler system. Since they are easily replaced with something more appropriate, the question becomes what else is there, so far as a sprinkler system.

Find the water supply and turn it on. Then open one of the valves and see what there is to see.

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 23rd 2015, 11:50am

Be careful with that frayed wire. Your valves aren't electric.

Do you have a picture of the wire? It's possibly low voltage but you never know. I cut a white pvc pipe in half one day to discover 110 volt wire running through it. The home owners installed it themselves. How thrifty of them. I haven't been back to that property. I wasn't happy.

Tuesday, June 23rd 2015, 11:53am

This pic was taken before I started digging..guess I know what I'll be doing tonight!! more pics to come :)
Thank you

Tuesday, June 23rd 2015, 11:57am

I'll post a pic of the wire in a bit. I actually thought it was a tree root at first..I know absolutely nothing about sprinklers other than what I've looked up the last couple of days..Wish me luck

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 23rd 2015, 12:35pm

Take plenty of photos. You may have a great mystery on your hands. :?:

Tuesday, June 23rd 2015, 1:23pm

We've had plenty of mysteries with this house..It was a foreclosed property when we bought it and not very well maintained, the dirt around the valves is my doing..we had dirt brought in to fix drainage issues. For 3 years I have been dying to turn that knob but my husband didn't think it was a good ideal..last night I waited for him to go to sleep :)

Wednesday, June 24th 2015, 10:27am

I have more pictures but they won't upload..I'm using tinypic. Any suggestions?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 24th 2015, 12:14pm

Tinypic supplies the entire code you can copy and paste. Click the box with the 'forum code' and you see it highlighted. Then copy and paste.

Wednesday, June 24th 2015, 2:18pm

Thought for sure I was going to find something good under this buried paver...

Rate this thread