You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, June 22nd 2015, 3:43pm

Tapping into main water line

Hello all,
This past weekend I was working on tapping into my main water line by installing a 3/4" compression tee; however, after digging down to the water main, I discovered the pipe was a lot bigger than 3/4" .
I took a piece of string to measure around the pipe and got a measurement on a ruler of 5.75". I also measured the pipe that goes into my house and that measured 4.25" After looking online to see what those dimensions translate to on a pvc pipe, I couldn't find anything with my exact measurements I got, but instead found out that a 4" circumference is the same for 1" pvc pipe. Could the 1/4 inch difference mean that my water main line is schedule 80 instead of 40?
I need to know what compression T size I need to buy in order to tap into the pipe that has a 4.25" circumference. Thanks

Supreme Member

Monday, June 22nd 2015, 4:05pm

You should consult with a local waterworks supplier. Those are the big boys that sell fire hydrants to city water departments. The reason you talk to them is that they know what's being installed in your area, and because they have the compression tees you want for this sort of work, of a quality way above and beyond what you were planning to use.

Rate this thread