You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ksc

Unregistered

Friday, June 19th 2015, 9:20am

new well pump/no tank

I was wondering if I could plumb a jet pump into my shallow well and not use a tank. Could I hook the output up to a hose and run sprinklers off it by just switching the pump on/off manually?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 19th 2015, 10:44am

If you don't mind the pump "deadheading" then you can give it a try, but a tank and pressure switch are cheaper than having to replace the pump.

ksc

Unregistered

Friday, June 19th 2015, 6:09pm

deadheading

Not sure I understand "deadheading" in this situation, but I thought my problem would be controlling the pressure within the 30-50 psi preset on the pump. I'm not sure I understand the "30-50" preset on the pump either. Will the pump actually start if it isn't at 30 psi?

I just decided to "activate" a well that is on my property, so excuse my ignorance. I've run a trash pump on the well for a couple of days and after a good cleaning I think the well might be viable. The water level stabalised at about 32" pumping out 20gpm.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 20th 2015, 8:48am

If you are going to use a pressure switch then you get a pressure tank. You need some means of preventing the pump from cycling too rapidly. There are some specialty devices that allow you to accomplish that, but they still require a small pressure tank.

Since one hose nozzle or one sprinkler will use about 3 gpm, there is no way that kind of usage won't involve cycling, unless you add a constant-run valve to the pump output. A big enough tank makes for longer cycles, and that protects the pump.

ksc

Unregistered

Saturday, June 20th 2015, 12:23pm

I just checked a few things this morning. I'm getting about 11 gpm at 85 psi out of my faucet (municipal water). We have 3 oscillating sprinklers hooked up to water the vegetable garden, one hose to a 3 way splitter, and only one will operate fully at a time. Then I hooked up a new impact sprinkler that has a maximum diameter of 100' and ran that on it's own and only got 60-70' of coverage. I just can't see a pump ever shutting off running a few of these sprinklers.

The pump I tentatively picked out only puts out 11-12 gpm at 50 psi, or 18 gpm at 40 psi at my approx. 17.5 of head. The well is located on the highest spot on the property so the pump would always be pumping downhill.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 20th 2015, 1:46pm

If the pump never shuts off, then you don't need a pressure switch. Just buy enough hoses and sprinklers to make for constant operation at the correct pressure. However, if you want the pump to hold prime, then you use a pressure tank and pressure switch. For your described application, the tank only serves as a shock absorber, and even a tiny hot-water expansion tank would serve.

ksc

Unregistered

Sunday, June 21st 2015, 1:50pm

Thanks, I appreciate the help. Renting a gas powered trash pump tomorrow, we'll see if I can add another 1' of depth.

Rate this thread