You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

1145trnj

Monday, June 8th 2015, 9:47am

Pump cycles

My sprinkler motor, a Gould JL10N casing cracked over the winter. I replaced it along with a few gaskets while I had the motor open. I had to re-do some PVC areas & all is leak free. However, my pump loses pressure & cycles around every 5 minutes. I don't see wet zone areas either by any of the sprinkler heads? I checked the air tank & no leaks there either? Any suggestions as to what could be causing the pressure drop? I guess it has to be between the pump & zone valves but I am at a loss right now. ?(

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 8th 2015, 11:51am

did you replace any check valves?

1145trnj

Monday, June 8th 2015, 12:39pm

No. Mechanical seal & 2 gaskets.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 8th 2015, 1:31pm

If everything else is perfect, a faulty check valve will leak pressurized water back to the source, setting the stage for cycling.

1145trnj

Monday, June 8th 2015, 2:19pm

Is there a way to check or is replacement the way to go? I ask this because it means dealing with a lot of PVC again! 8|

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 8th 2015, 2:54pm

Union fittings might simplify the work.

You might have a zone valve that leaks. That would also sap water pressure.

1145trnj

Tuesday, June 9th 2015, 7:10am

Thank you. I will try to get to it this afternoon. I will keep you posted with my findings. Appreciate all of the advise. :)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 9th 2015, 8:28am

Hopefully, you have a good shutoff valve between the tank and the system, so you can eliminate a zone valve as the problem.

1145trnj

Tuesday, June 9th 2015, 8:58am

Actually it's brand new - installed last year. I haven't checked the system by shutting that off. I will do that now. Again, thanks for the advise. :D

1145trnj

Wednesday, June 10th 2015, 6:00am

Wet Boots, that was a fantastic suggestion. I turned the valve & saw that the pressure in the pump/tank area held. Didn't move at all, thus targeting the zones as the issue. I opened all of the zone valves one-by-one and flushed them. One zone seemed to stick open longer so I had to open twice. That seemed to do the trick. System ran over night. Pressure is holding steady with no further constant cycling. Thank you very much for your help. :thumbsup:

Rate this thread