You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, June 1st 2015, 5:10pm

Noisy valve on zone that has drip components only

Hello.. I'm having an issue with a Hunter PGV-075-ASV valve on a zone that has only drip components. The incoming pressure is around 110-120psi. I have a 30psi regulator on the outbound side of the valve. When operating, the valve is very noisy and generates a buzzing sound. I called Hunter to inquire about the valve, and they said it was because the valve was struggling to get the water through. This was proven by opening up the 1/2 drip line at the end of the zone and letting the water run out. The noise was not present is this case. They also had me try to adjust the flow control on the valve, but that did not resolve the issue. So they recommended that I change out and/or add emitters to increase the flow rate. I was wondering if there were any other options, like changing the valve to a different brand/model. I really dont want to have to change out emitters until the flow rate is increased enough to stop the noise. What about those low flow valves for drip irrigation from Rain Bird and Hunter? Oh, some info about the zone. This is an estimate, but I figure that I've got about 50 .5GPH emitters and a couple of variable output emitters (~ 5GPH).

Also, another suggestion that Hunter gave was to reduce the input pressure to the valve. That will not work because there are other zones that irrigate grass areas and need the higher pressure in order to maintain 20-30 psi per head.

Any information that you guys can provide on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.. Tony

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 1st 2015, 8:38pm

Nothing cheap addresses your issues. There are straightforward solutions, and the pressure reducer upstream of (only) the drip zone valve might be the simplest to apply.

20/20 hindsight would have your drip zone redesigned with different emitters with much higher flow rates, and much less likelihood of issues.

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 2nd 2015, 1:19am

Are you 100% sure is the valve causing the noise and not the pressure reducer?
Many times the reducer will make loud noises and you hear it coming out of the cap of the ASV.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 2nd 2015, 9:48am

For information more than a practical suggestion, there are specially-designed brass zone valves available at scary-high prices, that will open fully, no matter how low the flow of the zone is. A fully-open valve doesn't make noises.

Of course, you could buy and exchange hundreds of emitters before you even get close to the cost of one of those special brass valves.

$201.56 plus tax and shipping, factory direct

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 2nd 2015, 12:35pm

Strictly for the money, there is absolutely no alternative to replacing all the emitters. Nothing is even close. Common zone valves are not happy and quiet with extremes of flow. Emitters are dirt cheap.

Tuesday, June 2nd 2015, 1:17pm

Thanks for the response about the issue with the noisy valve. I'm considering adding a pressure regulator before the valves that control drip irrigation only in order to step down the input pressure from the city (110-120psi). Could you recommend an adjustable pressure regulator to use? I would have to insert the regulator in a 3/4 PVC line. There is no copper pipe around the manifold. Wasn't sure if I needed to use one of those brass type regulators or not. Some other notes about my setup. I have 8 valves. 3 of the valves control zones that have popup sprayers and need the higher pressure from the city line. The other 5 zones have drip components. I only have the noise issue on two of those zones, because the flow rate is high enough on the other 3. So, I am assuming that I would split out the input line to my manifold, add the pressure reducer, and then build a new manifold out to the 5 drip zone valves. The existing manifold would then only service the 3 valves that don't have drip components. Does that make sense?

I am also considering the idea about replacing the emitters. That is definitely the cheapest option. I'm just thinking about the added flexibility that I would have if I lowered the pressure input to all the drip zone valves. Then I could have smaller zones and/or slower flow rates w/o the noisy valves.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "boltfan1234" (Jun 2nd 2015, 1:24pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 2nd 2015, 2:58pm

Don't count on a silent zone valve with very low flow, regardless of the supply pressure. As for a reducer, you only have what gets plumbed into a house as a choice, and none of them have PVC connections.

Pretty much any choice other than emitter replacement is going to cost you some expensive material.

If you wanted to have a try at a "leave the zones alone" solution, with no guarantee other than the system would be better with it than without it, you could look at having a pressure-regulating master valve in the supply, with an output pressure dialed down to 60-70 psi, or even lower, if the other zones permit. Of course, if other zones are absolutely "maxed out" so that they can't tolerate even a small reduction in flow, then the master valve idea is out.

Rate this thread