You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mellow

Unregistered

Sunday, May 31st 2015, 7:15pm

Toro Vision 1 - Dead?

Hi, I have a Toro Vision 1 system that came with the house. I'm going to guess it's at least 20 years old. Two years ago,the system worked and I just had my local irrigation company come and do the winterizing. I didn't turn it on last year as it was a pretty wet year in general and I had the time to water the lawn with a hose.

So I tried to turn on the system this year and it didn't seem to come up. Trying to diagnose the problem, I noticed that there was voltage coming to the solenoids even though the system was off.

Long story short, with a volt meter, when the system if plugged to the wall, (only the transformer running, all wires to the valve solenoids disconnected) I noticed that 3 of the 6 zones are always on (25V AC) including the master. By this I mean, I plugged the voltmeter to the COM and the different zones, one at a time, and some of them were "hot." I'm guessing that is not right. Right? I suppose my controller "is no more, it has ceased to be."

I figured I just need to buy a new controller, but I thought I'd ask here before I go out and buy a new system.

Of course, before plugging in, I still plan to check the wires, etc, to make sure that there are no shorts due to corrosion or something. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good general system diagnostics guide, like a list of things to check to make sure it's all good before I plug it all in?

What are some good "plug and play" controllers that will be nice to replace this Vision 1?

Thanks.

mrfixit

Monday, June 1st 2015, 5:58am

Did you try to open a valve manually at the valve itself to see if there's a water supply?

mellow

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 2nd 2015, 6:39am

Did you try to open a valve manually at the valve itself to see if there's a water supply?
Hi, Yes, the water systems are all fine. Opening the valves by hand will start the sprinklers in each of the zones, no problem. My question is about the controller. Even when it's set to "off" I get 24V accross some of the zones. I just wanted to confirm that my suspicion was right.

mellow

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 2nd 2015, 6:39am

Hi, Yes, the water systems are all fine. Opening the valves by hand will start the sprinklers in each of the zones, no problem. My question is about the controller. Even when it's set to "off" I get 24V accross some of the zones. I just wanted to confirm that my suspicion was right, that the controller is dead.

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 2nd 2015, 4:08pm

Hmmm weird. That response is to another question. I'm not sure how it got on your question.
I'd say yes the controller is fried. I'm assuming you unplugged the controller and reset it.
The Hunter XC is a nice controller and easy to program.

Rate this thread