You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Deweymfd

Starting Member

Sunday, May 31st 2015, 12:44pm

Wiring for upgraded Controller (new system not working)

I just bought a new controller (Rainbird SST 900i) which was replaced by Hunter SRC 900i. I labeled each wire and correctly put on each zone wire (color coded) to each terminal. I was left with 3 wires which are light blue, pink and white. I assume the white wire is common and the light blue and pink are from a rain sensor. On the old controller the pink wire was connected to the common terminal and the blue and white wires were twisted together and connected to terminal RS which I assume is Rain Sensor. No wire was connected to the MV terminal so I assume I have NO master valve.

I no longer use the rain sensor as I accidently mowed over the exposed wires to the rain sensor on the old Controller (Hunter SRV). The system worked fine regardless but now that I have upgraded to the Rainbird SST the system no longer works. I have power to transformer and to the new controller but I read a error saying wiring problem. I know the zones are correct as I've double checked and also checked the color code to each valve. Each valve has the white wire on it so I believe it is the common wire. But, in the old system the pink wire was connected to the common terminal. the new system has a yellow jumper wire looped to the rain sensor terminals. The new system is not working and I've put the correct date and zone times. I've tried to connect the same way as the old system was connected but the new system does not work. Why would a pink wire be connected to the common and the blue and white wires connected to RS????

Can someone tell me how I should connect the 3 wires to the new system? Light blue Pink and White

The new system has 2 terminals for the common. Its the pink wire that is strange. Somehow the rain sensor is the problem. I don't use it and can you let me know how to rectify this problem.

mrfixit

Monday, June 1st 2015, 5:54am

You've stated the old controller worked just fine with the rain sensor wires cut in half so I don't see how the rain sensor can be the problem now.
If the pink wire was hooked up to the common on the SRC then it should be hooked up to the new Rainbird controller as the common.
Ignore the two wires that were hooked up to the sensor terminals since the rain sensor is abandoned.
Unless you wrote down the colors of the wires incorrectly it should work.
There's probably a splice somewhere between the controller and the valves turning the pink wire into a white wire.

Why did you swap controllers? Were you having issues and decided to buy a new controller?

Rate this thread