You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Saturday, May 30th 2015, 6:22pm

What valves to replace old champion angle valves with actuators

I'm looking to replace 3 the old angle champion valves that have plastic actuators as I have one right now that won't shut off. I read bad reviews about the actuators on these. There are PCL-075 if I recall correctly. I want to take them out and put something more reliable in there. I have only owned the house 2 years but I think they have been in there a long time. Here is a pic of the box removed and the valves exposed.

Let me know some recommendations, another angle valve or something else.

I repaired your link, mrfixit..

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (May 31st 2015, 2:46am)



Posts: 2,322

Location: USA


Sunday, May 31st 2015, 2:45am

That's a very easy repair. Just unscrew the valve adapters and replace them. Note if they're 3/4" or 1".

I'm assuming you have backflow protection upstream somewhere.

Click on this. Valve adapters


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,294

Location: Metro NYC


Sunday, May 31st 2015, 6:06am

the Irritrol 2623 adapter might be seen in some retail outlets as a Lawn Genie brand


Sunday, May 31st 2015, 12:26pm

There is no back flow protection that I know of. The house is from the 80's and not required back then although everywhere requires it now. I'm open to changing the design and removing these angled valves if there is a better option or designed suggested (remove angle valve setup)? Are brass manual valves converted with these actuators reliable? Please give me suggestions as I dug it up with plans to change it but if whats in there is ok then I can go with new actuators.

What is the feedback on these Irritrol valve adapters, good/bad?

What about a new angle valve like this:

Let me know thanks.


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,294

Location: Metro NYC


Sunday, May 31st 2015, 2:08pm

Backflow protection requirements pre-date WWII

Are these angle valves above ground? - oh wait, now I see the photo - the adapter on the left is the Irritrol 2623 design - you could thread in two more of the same and cut a PVB or RPZ into the supply plumbing upstream, and cover backflow protection requirements.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (May 31st 2015, 2:16pm)


Sunday, May 31st 2015, 2:33pm

Ok so get two more Irritrol 2623 to replace the old Champion actuators and cut in a back flow further up the supply line. The box is right next to the edge of a house addition and deck so going much further up the line is problematic at best.

They are not above ground as you saw in the pic.

Is there any benefit to removing the angle valves and switching to something completely different?


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,294

Location: Metro NYC


Sunday, May 31st 2015, 2:42pm

a definite benefit of replacing the existing plumbing with standard valves is less pressure loss - that will help offset the effect of a backflow preventer


Sunday, May 31st 2015, 2:46pm

Any recommendations on what standard valves to use?


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,294

Location: Metro NYC


Sunday, May 31st 2015, 3:16pm

If the elevations permit, you could also replace what you have with three antisyphon valves (Irritrol 2713APR) - That is probably the least expensive and best pressure-loss solution, so long as you can meet the requirement of the valves being a foot higher than any of the sprinklers.


Sunday, May 31st 2015, 4:51pm

Don't think that would work. This is in a underground box in a garden bed area. Not looking to put above ground valves or a raised box. I would rather convert it to standard valves to keep it at ground level.

Similar threads

Rate this thread