You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

hlsrtony

Tuesday, May 26th 2015, 2:28pm

Controller Troubleshooting

I have a Rainbird controller that has suddenly stopped working. I cannot get it to work in manual mode or anything else. Tried resetting it, bypassed the rain sensor, nada.. The GFCI plug was thrown last week so i suspect the controller is hosed. Trouble shooting steps.
  1. Reset controller and reprogrammed -nada
  2. Water is on
  3. Voltage at plug good
  4. Voltage through transformer is 29.4
  5. Manually/physically turned on 3 valves (at the valve itself) and all worked fine
  6. Returned to controller and Turned zone 1 on manually and tested voltage - 29.4
  7. Turned zone 2 on manually and tested voltage - 29.4
  8. all the way down the line
  9. Then noticed that when zone 1 was on manually.. every other zone was still showing 29.4 voltage.
I figured that should not be right put wanted to confirm before i bought a new controller.
Thoughts
Thanks

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 26th 2015, 7:21pm

When you turn zone 1 on is the voltage coming out of the controller on the other zones or is it coming out of the wires?

If it's coming out of the controller.. Replace it.

If it's coming out of the wires then there's an issue with the wiring.

hlsrtony

Wednesday, May 27th 2015, 12:12pm

dumb question

So how would I know that, pull all the other zones wires and then test zone 1. Pull just the zone 1 wire and test it with COM? sorry learning quickly but learning

mrfixit

Wednesday, May 27th 2015, 3:10pm

You could disconnect the common wire from the controller, turn on number one, now test the terminals again. Is only number 1 on or are they all on?

You could also disconnect all the numbered wires from the controller except number 1. Leave the common connected. Now turn on number 1 and test the controller and the disconnected wires. Or just disconnect one wire and test it while 1 is on. Is the voltage coming out of the wire or out of the controller.....

Rate this thread