You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, May 24th 2015, 7:14am

Zone leak--continuous-24/7

History:-
1 Replaced valve gasket
2 Replaced with new valve; purged; etc
2b switched solenoid with known good solenoid
3 Checked new valve gasket: purged; etc
4 Installed check valve; purged; etc
5 Installed new ball valve inline with zone valve(incoming water)--can not believe this did not stop leak
6 Closed ball valve on main incoming line, down stream of back flow preventer--this stops leak
7 Ordered 12 sprinkler head check valves from Irritrol.

these changes were made over a one week time--there has been no change in the leak(all heads).
Have 14 zone system, only one zone issue. All zones operate normally.

If the zone had another source for incoming--would not the sprinklers stay on? ?(

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "JERRYCOLLINS" (May 24th 2015, 7:24am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 24th 2015, 3:02pm

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that you have a bad batch of valves, with your replacements coming from the same lot. Try an Irritrol 2500F as a master valve.

Sunday, May 24th 2015, 4:07pm

Have only one zone with problem--system is more than 10 yrs old. I replaced one valve with a new one--not one from the same batch
I put a ball shutoff valve in the line before the zone valve-since even this did not stop the leak---I can't see how any valve will help?

I am in the process of digging up the entire zone trying to ID the source of the additional water in the line. ;(

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 24th 2015, 5:00pm

If you want absolute answers at this point you will need absolute measures. Unless you buy from professional supply houses, you can't be certain how old are the products you buy. There is a possibility of a problem with a Rainbird valve, depending on the model and its date of manufacture. If you want the flow of water into the system to be zero, then you need a new shut-off valve in the supply.

mrfixit

Sunday, May 24th 2015, 5:12pm

You probably changed the wrong valve.

Monday, May 25th 2015, 8:34pm

correct valve

We know we have the correct valve--loosen the solenoid and the zone works normally. Close the solenoid and the spray stops--but leaks. Have installed an additional ball valve on incoming line to this zone valve..leak continuues. It must have a secondary source of incoming.

Leak only stops when main source valve is closed for all zones.

Still digging up the entire pipeline

Need better ideas ! :rolleyes:

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 26th 2015, 3:01am

The ball valve should have shut off the leak. Since it didn't the water's not coming from that valve unless the brand new ball valve is bad.

So, is it possible that there are two valves hooked up to that zone and one of them has been abandoned and the abandoned valve is the source of the leak? I've seen it done a few times. Especially when there's been some type of modification to the landscaping or a patio added or a pool or?

Wednesday, May 27th 2015, 7:28am

As you suspected, we have found a modification in this zone. Have not yet uncovered another valve--Have 3/4 of the entire zone uncovered. Will complete by the end of the day and will let you know.

thanks

Friday, May 29th 2015, 7:35am

still digging and repairing cut lines and 30 yrs of roots

Saturday, May 30th 2015, 6:32am

continuous leak

You were correct. In 2003 a major landscaping job was completed.

Found a zone valve in the main incoming 1" line, downstream of 2 other branches. I believe this was abandoned. Assume i should take this out?

Have narrowed the single zone leak to 1--. this zone valve on the incoming to my new zone valve and 2.-- a 3' section of the feeder line 3/4"

Rate this thread