You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, May 21st 2015, 2:10pm

Irritrol 2400T rebuild/repair?

Today I placed our sprinkler system in service for the first time after the winter (MI). One zone started watering without the controller calling for it. I went over to the zone control valve (Irritrol 2400T) and cycled the manual operator several times from off to on and back, but that had no effect. I unplugged the controller and shut the main supply valve to the system. I then dug up the control valve and disassembled it to look for any problems. The valve must be mechanically stuck in the open position, although that was not obvious upon inspection. How do I go about rectifying this issue?

Thursday, May 21st 2015, 6:02pm

Dug a bit further into things:
There are two zone controls valves in separate holes next to each other (I did NOT install this system!) and I could not recall which one was responsible for the problem, so I dug them both up, took them apart, and gave all the parts a good cleaning. Reassembled everything and when pressured up the other zone was watering. I figured the problem must have been with the diaphragm as that is the only part that could've been swapped (solenoid and cover assembly still attached to respective wiring).
Called the local supplier and they told me that there is a small hole in the diaphragm the size of a needle that gets plugged up and causes this problem. Took the valve apart again and inspected the diaphragm, but could find no needle-sized hole. Then called Irritrol customer service to get the lowdown. They told me that the solenoid pulls the diaphragm up allowing flow through the valve, and that my diaphragm must have a hole in it. Rechecked the diaphragm and still haven't been able to find any kind of problems with it. After looking at the construction of this valve, neither explanation seems feasible to me. After removing the solenoid from the cover assembly, it is obvious to me that the solenoid does not pull the diaphragm up, but does uncover the port that allows water to pass through it to the top side of the diaphragm.
After taking this valve apart several times and reassembling it, then exercising the manual operator, the valve is functioning properly, but I'm not sure why. Does anyone have a detailed explanation as to how this particular valve operates? Thanks for your time. Rob

mrfixit

Friday, May 22nd 2015, 3:25am

Personally I'm not a big fan of that valve. I don't like jar tops in general. I'd consider replacing them with the 2500TF

Here's a link to some info on your valve. 2400

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 22nd 2015, 9:04am

Irritrol customer service had it right when they gave a hole in the diaphragm as a possible source of mechanical failure. Another is a jammed solenoid caused by particles in the water. Just keep an extra 2400 on hand as a source of parts, or for a complete swap-out.

Rate this thread