You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mlc99

Sunday, May 10th 2015, 7:41pm

Help determining valve manufacturer

Hello All,

I am trying to fix up an old system in a new house I moved into. Can someone help identify the make of this valve? Except for the word "Turf" I can not find any identification. I am going to need to replace the standard diaphragm and other support diaphragm deep on the inside. Thanks

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "mlc99" (May 11th 2015, 6:32am)

mrfixit

Monday, May 11th 2015, 2:09am

I fixed your links.
I've never seen that valve before.
Sometimes parts from one brand valve will fit another. But that's a long shot. It has a similar shape to Rainbird.
Maybe post a pic of the diaphragm.

I know you're avoiding installing a new valve but you might not have a choice. Then again maybe Boots knows what valve that is. It looks 110v to me but I can't tell for sure.
If the valve's too difficult to uninstall or too dangerous maybe you can simply disable it so it's always open, leave it in place and install another valve farther down the line.

mlc99

Monday, May 11th 2015, 6:24am

Thanks for fixing the link (Could not figure out how to link it). The solenoids are indeed 110v. The problem with tearing the valve out is everything is attached by solder to 2 inch pipe so removing them will become very difficult. I can not leave the valve open because the valve leaks to the outside. Perhaps someone can help with the second question. Can I replace the controller to a 24v output, replace all the solenoids to 24v. Will this work, or do the valves require a 110v solenoid?

The remaining 9 valves are all weathermatic to which I have found replacement parts. But the one I am showing i have never seen a similar picture on-line. ----AHHH the work in getting a 40 year old system up and running!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 11th 2015, 8:36am

For the money, you would disable the valve, if it could be managed safely. If you did make the effort to remove it intact, you might have a collectible item to sell.

The one best way to deal with an indoor manifold of zone valves, is to build a new one outdoors. These indoor installs never seem to envision servicing the valves. It would be best to take all of this outdoors. Bite the bullet, invest the time and materials, and you are one and done.

Even if you had original repair parts, you have the problem of the old valves having brass cover bolts. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that those bolts can be stuck so tight (brass threads to brass threads) that they will shear when you put a wrench to them.

Since these old indoor zone-valve installs invariably do not include backflow protection, that makes all the more reason to start over from scratch and get it done right. Faulty sprinkler plumbing is one reason why homes fail a municipal inspection that takes place before the house gets sold.

mrfixit

Monday, May 11th 2015, 6:27pm

The information you're looking for might be on the solenoid. The valve's very similar in shape to yours. Maybe yours is an early Imperial. The valve pictured is 115v.

As far as switching solenoids from 110 to 24v I'd say yes if you can find a solenoid with the same threads.
Just be prepared to uninstall that valve if it gets messed up.
Maybe you could use a sharkbite fitting on the 2" copper if you don't have the tools to soldier it?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 11th 2015, 6:51pm

the TURF label doesn't scan, but the rest of the valve looks something like a Hays, for which parts are long unavailable - there wouldn't be a great chance of finding obsolete Hays diaphragm assemblies out there, since the valves saw hard use in laundry facilities (hot water tolerant)

What pipe size is this TURF valve?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (May 11th 2015, 7:00pm)

mlc99

Tuesday, May 12th 2015, 7:58pm

Here are some more pictures that I am hoping might be able to identify the brand. I misspoke on the size of the valve. It is 1 inch pipe

#mce_Pic 4_url#
#mce_temp_url#
#mce_temp_url#

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 13th 2015, 2:07am

even if it's an Imperial valve of some sort, you will never repair it - replacement diaphragms are long gone - prepare to cut your own replacement gasket and convert the valve to a "pass-through"

How about a view of the old diaphragm assembly, and of the valve bonnet and solenoid assembly?

mrfixit

Wednesday, May 13th 2015, 2:56am

The inside of that valve looks a lot like a Superior. From the placement of the o-ring to the lip where the bead of the diaphragm goes. The way it tapers down. The bolt pattern looks the same.
I agree with Boots. Let's see the diaphragm.

I'd see if a Superior diaphragm fits in there if they look similar.

---

Scroll up to 4:40 on this video. You'll see how it's similar.

Superior 950

S

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (May 13th 2015, 3:36am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 13th 2015, 8:51pm

By the way, where is the location of these TURF valves? I'm wondering if this wasn't a sort of "private label" product.

Rate this thread