You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

NYGIANT

Wednesday, May 6th 2015, 7:13am

Overextended zones?

I may have an overextended zone or 2 - insufficient water pressure to fully pop up the sprinkler heads and causing leaks at the bases. Assuming there are no other issues with these zones, could the solution be as easy as using smaller nozzles, from 3gpm to 2gpm, and extending the watering time at these zones or is it more involved than that?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 6th 2015, 8:24am

You might try capping off one head and see what results.

NYGIANT

Wednesday, May 6th 2015, 8:36am

Why didn't I think of that? Thanks! If that helps the leaking issue, does the idea to use smaller nozzles and extended watering times have merit?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 6th 2015, 10:21am

depends on the make and model of what you have

NYGIANT

Wednesday, May 6th 2015, 10:43am

3/4" Toro valves, model 53380. The pop-up heads are an assortment of Hunter and Orbit - pretty much whatever Home Depot happened to have on the shelf when I needed them. I'm looking to replace most of the heads with Rain Bird 5000 series - love that flow shut-off feature.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 7th 2015, 5:53am

Consider replacing the valves. Not that a Toro 3/4-inch valve won't work, but it has a high pressure loss compared to a 1-inch valve.

NYGIANT

Monday, May 11th 2015, 9:20am

Wish I would have visited this forum sooner - my manifold cracked over the winter and I just made a new one complete with all new Toro 3/4" valves. So back to my original question - I took your suggestion and capped off one of the heads and there was still leaking at the bases but definitely not as much. Do you think my idea to use smaller nozzles and increased watering time has any merit? Also, do you have an opinion regarding the Rain Bird 5000 series with Pressure Regulating Stems (PRS)? Thanks for your help so far.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 11th 2015, 9:37am

You don't have pressure to spare, so forget the bells and whistles for now. Without knowing exactly what is in place now, including nozzle sizes, it's down to guessing. You might try replacing an entire zone of heads with new 5000's, and see what results.

NYGIANT

Monday, May 11th 2015, 11:20am

The plan is definitely to replace all the heads in the 2 zones that have been giving me this leaking issue. The assorted Orbit and Hunter heads from Home Depot all come pre-installed with 3gpm nozzles. After replacing all the heads, with Rain Bird 5000's, I was planning on testing the zones by decreasing the nozzle size by .5gpm until the leaking stopped or was minimal. The reason I asked for your opinion regarding the Pressure Regulating Stems (PRS) was for several other zones that, because of changes to my landscape, only have 2 or 3 heads. The discharge from those heads seems over-pressurized and produces lots of mist which to me seems like wasted water. I guess I could apply the same logic here and increase the nozzle size until the misting stops but if the PRS feature really works then I would prefer that solution.

Rate this thread