You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kalifornia

Unregistered

Monday, May 4th 2015, 2:45pm

Can I even do this? Direction-ally split a PVC pipe between drip irrigation and a garden hose

I'm having a new irrigation zone in my backyard installed professionally this week. He's going to stub the PVC pipe and from there I am planning to take over myself and install a drip irrigation system.
My question is, since I don't have a garden hose in my backyard, would it be possible to split the PVC pipe and have one end route to the drip irrigation system, and the other end route to a garden hose? If I used a ball valve splitter would this work? I would not use both the drip irrigation and the garden hose at the same time.
I understand that I would need to run the zone to use the garden hose and that's OK with me. I'm more concerned with issues around the approach. Would this leak? Would there be water pressure issues? Are there things I'm not thinking about?
It seems pretty simple but finding a cheap 3-way ball valve that fits a <1" pipe has proven challenging so I'm wondering if that's a warning sign that I'm missing something. Thanks in advance.

kalifornia

Unregistered

Monday, May 4th 2015, 2:54pm

FYI, this is what I mean when I suggest splitting the PVC pipe. I would like to use something like this 3-way ball valve to select which way the water flows. With the water coming from the PVC pipe it would flow either to the drip irrigation system (which I imagine would require a pressure regulator) or if I switch the valve, it would go to the garden hose.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 7:35am

Two tees. Two ball valves. Keep it simple.

kalifornia

Starting Member

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 11:16am

Thanks for the note and I'm sure you know better than I on the subject but can you help me understand why your suggestion with two separate valves is simpler than one 3-way ball valve?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 12:45pm

Why? Money. Standard components are competitively priced. 3-way valves are not.

Rate this thread