You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, May 3rd 2015, 9:21pm

2 sprinkler heads pop up on their own for a few sec when zone is off.

Last year I replaced by backflow preventor as my previous one was damaged. I used the same model backflow I have had for the 4-5 years since I installed the irrigation system ( Febco 860-075). Ran it all summer with no issues until it got to the fall and I winterized my system. I noticed that one of my sprinkler heads (we will call it SH#1) was in a very damp spot. I dug up the head and inspected it. Saw no issues so I dug the pipe up a couple feet back to make sure there was not a crack, pipe looked fine, so to be safe I replaced the sprinkler head anyway. Ran the irrigation system for a couple more days in that zone and did not notice the issue at that head. When I went back to the main solenoid box it was flooded. I figured it was a solenoid head that probably needed to be replaced. So I continued to winterize the system.

I replaced the solenoid last week and then I turned the water on, I car hear a hissing in the main solenoid box. I grabbed the windex and started spraying all the solenoids looking for bubbled that would indicate where the hissing leak sound was coming from, but there were no bubbles and no water coming out. I decided to take the screw off cap to the zone valve off and inspected the o-rings on that and it too looked fine. So I turned the main water line back on and left to run some errands and left the hissing going and figured if it was a leak the box would be full of water when I returned. A couple hours later I came back home and the box was dry and I could still hear the hissing noise. I decided to run the problem zone for a couple minuted and see if there was any pressure loss or any heads not popping up. Everything looked to be working fine. So I turned the zone off but left the main water supply on. I was sitting in a chair trying to figure out what the hissing noise was and what next steps I could take. As I am sitting in my chair two of my sprinkler heads in the back part of my yard popped up and sprayed a weak spray for 3-4 sec and then went down.
So now I think im going crazy. I sat in the back yard for a little while and watched these same two sprinkler heads pop up and spray for 3-4 sec every 15-30min.

So I have shut off the main water line to the system and not sure what this might be. I am not sure if the sprinkler heads have perhaps lost some spring strength and cant hold the pressure back or perhaps the new backflow is allowing more pressure through? I am not sure and could use some advise on what I might need to try next before I start replacing everything one piece at a time.... 8|

Thanks for any advise. I can capture the event on video and upload it should anyone like to see the sprinkler heads come on by themselves.

Rate this thread