You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kevin79

Sunday, May 3rd 2015, 4:26pm

Sprinkler pump has low, varying psi (depends on zone)

I purchased a house last year and have been dealing with low pressure on my underground sprinklers. I didn't put the system in so I don't know a whole lot about it other than it has a pump and is fed off of a well, it is the only thing that is few fed off of the well. My zones with the number of heads and PSI are below.

Zone 1 has 5 heads. The PSI fluctuates between 25 and 28.
Zone 2 has 3 heads. The PSI fluctuates between 23 and 28.
Zone 4 has 5 heads. The PSI fluctuates between 13 and 18.
Zone 5 has 4 heads. The PSI fluctuates between 15 and 20. The zone is the farthest away from the pump.
Zone 6 has 4 heads. The PSI fluctuates between 22 and 28. The zone is the closest to the pump.

Is there a way to get more PSI for my zones? My pump has a 1.5 HP motor. It is a Water Ace R15L. http://www.wilesroad.com/wateracepdf.pdf

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 7:44am

Is this a well point? Your pump is a standard centrifugal, and they don't put out high pressure. A different pump can deliver higher pressure, but the system wasn't designed for it, so higher pressure might be unnecessary. The one zone with low pressure might have a leak.

kevin79

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 10:05am

Is this a well point?
I'm not sure if it is, I think it is.

The one zone with low pressure might have a leak.
I will have to check but I didn't see any water pooling any where.

If I don't need high pressure, is there a way to get better coverage with my sprinklers other than adding new zones/heads? Right now, my front yard had 4 heads and the middle and each corner doesn't have any coverage. The overlap is non-existent. I also hear hissing and/or my heads pop up and down when the zones run.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 11:08am

Well points can clog up and ruin performance. If nothing else is broken, the point becomes prime suspect, along with a falling water table. You can't do anything about the water table, but you can try to backflush the point.

kevin79

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 12:10pm

I saw your post on flushing the well Low Pressure: Is it the pump, shallow well, or something else?. What if I don't have a connection to backflush it?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 12:51pm

You would have to re-plumb the pump, if you don't already have a backflushing connection. You'd need to replace an elbow and pipe with a tee and pipe and a union (assuming your existing install has an elbow at the well point)

kevin79

Friday, May 15th 2015, 8:12am

I thought I would update this. I had someone out to look at this. They acid flushed my well, replumbed it so that I have a T in case I need to test again and now I'm constantly getting around 35PSI. Zones cover a lot better too.

Rate this thread