You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, March 21st 2015, 12:08pm

Are Weathermatic valves just super loud?

Hi. I bought 6 new "silver bullet" Weathermatic valves as well as a new controller. I was just testing the controller and engaged a valve and it scared the heck out of me with a loud "pop" and a loud buzz while engaged. When I say "loud"... ok, it isn't a jet engine but it is CLEARLY heard from across a large room. The lights in the room also dimmed, so it seemed it was drawing a lot of current!

Bad valve? So I try the next one. Same thing. I haven't been brave enough to try a 3rd.

I read somewhere that often the cause is not enough voltage. So maybe its a bad controller. Well, I still have my old controller so I could try that, but even when I apply the voltage directly from the transformer (which says 24-26VAC but I measure 29) it still makes the same shocking pop and loud buzz.

Is this just normal for Weathermatic?

Did I miss some advice where you should never test them dry? (I'm testing them in my office).

I'm going to try to measure the current draw... what is normal?

Thanks.

Edit: It is pulling 6W so not very high (I guess my office lights are sensitive!). I checked a 3rd valve, just in case I happened to have 2 bad ones... what are the odds 3 brand new ones are defective? They are all loud. I think the only thing I haven't ruled out is the transformer itself.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "bcsteeve" (Mar 21st 2015, 12:32pm)

Saturday, March 21st 2015, 1:11pm

I guess it is "normal". I removed the solenoid and it was still loud, but once I removed the spring it was silent. Playing with it, I was able to position it 'just so' and it was quiet with the spring, but moving it off-axis even a couple degrees caused it to vibrate again.

Unbelievable how loud it is compared to my previous valves, which I never noticed. I took the valve to the install area and put it in the buried box and I can still hear it in my house (adjacent room) with the windows closed. However, I have the water off during all this so maybe that quietens it? I guess it is possible my previous valves made the same noise and I just never noticed it over the water sound.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 21st 2015, 3:38pm

Don't run solenoids dry, if you can avoid doing so. In any event, a sprinkler zone valve, underground, isn't going to wake the baby when its energized, even if it buzzes. (and some solenoids happen to buzz)