You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rishsd

Starting Member

Friday, March 6th 2015, 6:35pm

Please help, Way too much water used!!!

I just moved into my home last month. This is the first time having a working sprinkler system. I just got my bill in and it said that I used 4,000 gallons. I only turned on one station 3 days for 10 min total of 30 min. I went outside and timed the watering to 1 min. According to the meter I used 12 gallons in one min. I have (3) 180* rainbird 1804 spray head (1) rainbird split side spray head (1) rainbird 32sa rotor head. Is it possible to use 12 gallons in one min with this setup?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 7th 2015, 7:07am

Without knowing the water pressure, and all the nozzles on the heads, it isn't possible to answer the flow question, sight unseen.

Irrtech

Unregistered

Saturday, March 7th 2015, 11:48am

It's very possible to use 12 gallons per minute on the station you described. Spray heads are heavy consumers of water for the area they cover. Now, the total water used based on your information shoud be approximately 360 gallons in 30 minutes. Unless you have a leak between your water meter and the stub into your house, it looks like that is how much water you are consuming in each billing period. I'm not sure what intervals your water provider bills you, but it could be bi-annually, monthly, quarterly, etc. That total may be right in line with what it should be. You can contact your provider and I'm sure they would be more than happy to tell you what your projected total should be for your property each year or billing period.
And it doesn't hurt to let your turf show some signs of stress between watering so you can get a feel for how much water you should be putting down. Most people tend to overwater their lawns.
Hope this helps.

Rate this thread