You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

expo

Tuesday, December 2nd 2014, 9:30pm

Can you help me reconfigure my system?

I bought my house a few months ago. I have been working through my task list and have now come to the irrigation system.

Currently my system has a 1.5hp Flotec pump with a cracked wet side, a mechanical control timer, and a 4 zone FIMCO index valve. I am on city water.

None of my neighbors use a pump. Though I have not used a pressure gauge, we have great water pressure.

Since the pump is dead I want to reconfigure my system to run off the city water pressure without the pump. I also want to be able to control the zones so I can get certain areas watered more often than others.

What will I need to do this? Are all irrigation valves the same? Do I need 4 of them? I would like a wifi controller. Which are good? What other parts will I need? Should I get one back flow preventer or use 4 anti syphon valves?

Can you throw me a bone on what I need to do?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, December 3rd 2014, 12:56pm

You will get the best flow by using separate antisyphon valves, like the Irritrol 2713APR. Beyond that, how you proceed with the system layout will depend on what's already installed. The indexing valve goes in the recycle bin. Where you would keep the indexing valve, is when you abandon the city water and move to pumping ground water, which is bound to save on operating costs, BUT, sometimes the ground water can have a high iron content, which will make rust stains everywhere the sprinkler water sprays, unless you fit the pump with a set-up that puts rust preventative in the water being pumped.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (Dec 3rd 2014, 1:02pm)

expo

Wednesday, December 3rd 2014, 2:50pm

You will get the best flow by using separate antisyphon valves, like the Irritrol 2713APR. Beyond that, how you proceed with the system layout will depend on what's already installed. The indexing valve goes in the recycle bin. Where you would keep the indexing valve, is when you abandon the city water and move to pumping ground water, which is bound to save on operating costs, BUT, sometimes the ground water can have a high iron content, which will make rust stains everywhere the sprinkler water sprays, unless you fit the pump with a set-up that puts rust preventative in the water being pumped.
I am sure the pump is not to a well. I don't know why they are using a pump. When you turn that supply line valve the water FLOODS out of the side of the pump where the fiberglass body is cracked.

1. Here is a pic of the system

2. Here is a closeup of the supply line to the system

Thanks for the help.

So I get four of those valves, one for each zone? Which controller should I get? I basically want to run my sprinklers often enough to keep the yard green, but I'm not looking to win any awards. I am more interested in keeping the water bill down than looking like a sculpted garden.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, December 3rd 2014, 7:08pm

Florida has sandy soil, and it's hot, which is not the ideal for low water bills for keeping the landscape looking decent. You might want to investigate pumping ground water. Or as an alternative, does your town have a grey water system? You'd know by seeing sprinkler heads that have light purple tops.

Rate this thread