You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 5th 2005, 11:44am

Protecting Pipes from Tree Roots

I'm about to lay 8 latteral lines of various sizes in a single 24" deep trench that runs within 6 feet of some growing Maple trees. Digging the trench revieled the fact that the tree is capable of producing roots at the depth the pipe is to be located.

My biggest fear is that as the tree grows, it might grow a root between pipes at different depths, then grow in thickness until it ruptures one of the pipes.

So far, the only suggestion I've recieved is to sleeve the pipes in the sections of the trench near the trees. The trench can only accomidate upto 3" PVC pipe, which will stil call for multiple sleeves that the roots could still try to grow between.

I'm looking for some feedback regarding an idea that came to me today on protecting the pipes from tree roots. What if I place a "wall" of vinyl siding on the side and tops of the pipe to force tree roots to grow around the pipes?

Rate this thread