You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Jack N

Monday, September 17th 2007, 3:58pm

Noise

I'm new to in-ground systems and need to learn some more. When my system starts up, and each time another zone starts, the pipe inside my house that feeds the irrigation system vibrates heavily for 5-10 seconds then settles down but doesn't go completely away. It sounds similar to water hammering. What's happening and how do I fix the problem ?

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Tuesday, September 18th 2007, 7:19am

try this you can get this at your local hardware or plumbing supply and i think hd and lowes carry them.
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator
Landscape Irrigation Auditing & Management
Texas Lic. Backflow Tester

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 18th 2007, 9:13am

It's probably your zone valves. They can get into a banging mode. If they have flow controls, try throttling them down.

Jack N

Tuesday, September 18th 2007, 2:59pm

Jimmyburg - I must be missing something. Try what ?

Wet Boots - Sorry, I don't know the first thing about zone valves, so I don't know if they have flow controls on them or not. The system was made by Toro and professionally installed (at least they call themselves professionals, but I don't think they knew much more than I do). Can you help me out with more info ?

I thought of trying a water hammer arrestor. Do you think this would help ? Is a water hammer arrestor simply a pipe with one end closed to trap air ?

mrfixit

Tuesday, September 18th 2007, 4:29pm

Water hammer can be tricky to figure. There are a few different reasons why this happens. It's impossible to tell over the net. Take a look for yourself. You'll quickly see that even a seasoned veteran might have to rack his brain to solve your problem. The flow control is usually right in the middle of the valve. --
http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/waterhammer.htm
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

Jack N

Tuesday, September 18th 2007, 5:48pm

Wow. Good article. Thanks. I haven't finished reading it yet and I've already come across quite a few possibilities that I'm going to check into. Thanks for the link.

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Wednesday, September 19th 2007, 2:42am

sorry try this http://www.plumbingsupply.com/waterhammerarresters.html
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator
Landscape Irrigation Auditing & Management
Texas Lic. Backflow Tester

Rate this thread