You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Active Member

Posts: 9

Location: USA


Thursday, November 2nd 2006, 10:55am

master control valve; several questions

What is the purpose of the master control valve besides it shutting down the entire sprinkler system? I've read in a book its not needed but a great insurance for conserving water. I just confused because it mentioned was an automatic valve, at first, then a gate valve later (but not the main shutoff).

Does it have a place to be wired in a controller (Hunter Pro-C)? Does open each time a zone valve is open? What happens if a zone valve opens and the main control doesn't?

i'm at the point in my installation where I have installed most of the PVC pipes underground, wired up 3 zones in a valve box (front); teed off PVC to the backyard.

I'm about to wire up the backyard (3 zones), hook up the RPZ and connect that to the front valves, I'm wondering if I need to -or- should connect 1 more valve right after the RPZ to be the main control valve?

Any suggestions?!?


Active Member


Monday, May 21st 2007, 3:11pm

i would suggest using a master valve. there's no reason not to unless u wanted to have garden hose attachments away from the house


New Member


Wednesday, July 25th 2007, 1:12pm

The purpose of the master valve is:
In the event of a stuck zone valve, the master valve prevents wasting water by shutting off main line water supply when the controller's watering cycle is complete.
I put the master valve after the meter and before the backflow, but that's just preference. I use Rainbird parts but I would think the Hunters would have a spot in the controller to wire the master valve in. The conroller wiring slot might say "master, master valve or MV".
I use them only when required by local codes. The theory behind it is good, but I find homeowners (amd myself) like having access to another outside faucet which generally has much more pressure/flow than the regular outside faucets. Check your local code as they vary.

Rate this thread