You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Starting Member


Tuesday, April 6th 2004, 2:48am

Poly upstream of valves

I have been told you can not use poly upstream of the control valves because of bursting secondary surging. I need to(or at least would like to) locate my valves some distance from the breaker and I live in a freezing climate. Is this true of poly?


Supreme Member


Tuesday, April 6th 2004, 4:12pm



Advanced Member

Posts: 229

Location: USA


Wednesday, April 7th 2004, 5:56am

absolutely not! Just be sure to get 200psi poly


Senior Member


Monday, April 12th 2004, 1:31pm

Seems odd since many homes have CTS poly to the house for the main. Like was said already in this thread make sure to get the correct rated PSI pipe.


Supreme Member


Tuesday, April 13th 2004, 6:42am

I think I have been told that the plumbing codes indicates that if the main line (pipe under constant pressure i.e. upstream of control valves) must either be metal OR burried at least 18".


Supreme Member

Posts: 456

Location: USA


Tuesday, April 13th 2004, 5:25pm

Whoever the first person to think that is a little off. Homes all over the place have poly mainlines. Now you don't want to have poly at all for a sprinkler system with pipes ranging from 2" up.......PVC is the main choice for bigger commercial systems.

Rate this thread