You are not logged in.

kodiakz

Sunday, May 12th 2019, 3:03pm

Complete newbie need guidance!

Hello all! Reading the vast amount of wisdom here so I believe Im in the right place! About 2 years ago we purchased a new house on 1.1 acre that came with a fairly new (10 years) irrigation well. Having ZERO knowledge pertaining to well pumps, I had no idea that it was bad for the pump to cycle on and off every 20 seconds. Well, $10k in parts and labor later, I do now! So the old pump was cycling so often, it wore a bare spot in the supply wire and shorted out the pump and somehow the control box. The guys that put in the new pump were very nice but of little help as to how I should set up the system to avoid the cycling. The new pump, Grundfos 25 230v, 5hp, 25gpm is set up with a 100 gallon pressure tank set at 39 psi mated to pressure switch 40-60 psi with some sort of pump saver box on the 220v input. The control box is Hunter ICC 48 zone. I believe most of the sprinkler feed lines are 1.5" pvc. Most of the rotors are 3/4" Hunter with the green top but are pretty worn so I can't see model. I also had to put a 60 micron filter on the sprinkler feed as the sediment was plugging up many of the heads and wreaking havoc on the valves.

The only advice the pump guys gave me was that the pump should turn on when a zone is started and run the entire time without cycling. Whoever originally designed the system put 3 heads on each zone and, with that, the pump cycles very quickly. I thought I tried to put bigger nozzles in the existing rotors, but it still cycled. I eventually ended up putting multiple zones together to keep the pump on. While this saves the pump, the pressure and water coverage is not ideal.

So what rotors/nozzles would you guys recommend so that I can run the pump safely with 3 heads per zone?

Thank you!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 14th 2019, 7:21pm

What horsepower pump was in the well originally?

kodiakz

Tuesday, May 14th 2019, 8:03pm

5hp

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 15th 2019, 9:56am

You should start your improvements by first getting the performance data for your well. How many gallons per minute at what pressure. Unless your well is very deep, 5 horsepower seems to be a massive overkill for running only three heads at a time.

kodiakz

Wednesday, May 15th 2019, 2:46pm

the pump is set at 480' I am no longer able to find out any other details as the well guy won't return calls.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 15th 2019, 7:08pm

Even without calls returned, you should still be able to get by, so long as the pump works. You need to run your own performance tests. You want the pump to be running without cycling, while holding at a pressure you can work with. You might be able to fiddle with zones to find that happy medium. Absent a sprinkler system to employ, a well can always be evaluated with a bucket test. That has you running all the water from an open pipe into a receptacle of known volume, like a bucket or a trash can. The output is throttled down to establish your desired supply pressure, while you establish the rate of flow by timing the filling of your receptacle.

kodiakz

Wednesday, May 15th 2019, 9:05pm

Thanks Wet_boots. Pressure seems very good a well head spicket. I guess I was just hoping there was a recommended rotor/nozzle combination that would flow more than 25gpm total per 3 set zone. So I think i need 3 heads that can flow at least 9gpm ea x 3 per zone, that seems like the simple answer but I am hopeful someone has real world advice as I am shooting in the dark.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 16th 2019, 11:42am

the real world advice is to get to know your water supply first - if you want to swap around high gallonage nozzles on the cheap, use Hunter PGP-ADJ rotors, with nozzles that can flow over 12 gpm

Rate this thread